"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Insurance In Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Motorcycle Insurance In Florida

I already posted this under the insurance section of the forum, but thought I would mention it here since it only applies to us folks here in Florida.

I never actually understood the "uninsured motorist" and all the nonstacked business on my policy before. After having two different agents explain it to me in simple enough terms to get it into my thick skull I have now reduced my annual coverage on my Harley down to less than $500 a year.

If you have really good health care insurance and are carrying this on your expensive Harley policy you need to reconsider.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I you keep up with Scootin America, a florida resident, he found out having low uninsured motorist limit put him in debt over $200,000 when a car hit him their fault. He didn't have good health insurance if any at all. consult you insurance agent

Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I think it's worth having uninsured motorist in Fl. Too many uninsured and underinsured.

The following 2 users liked this post by uklauren:
Muffbrorick (02-02-2017), zer0t (02-14-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM
jussdandy
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

l had an accident in November with just my good insurance. Fla blue if you call that good.
They have run me through the wringer
I have filled out the same paper work 4 times with them trying to get State Farm to pay it. But I didn't take medical on my bike because it doesn't come with it.
Yesterday I got the same paper work from and independent company hired by Fla blue to see if Fla blue should pay.
They have payed most of the bills but it's been a pain in the ***.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Originally Posted by uklauren
I think it's worth having uninsured motorist in Fl. Too many uninsured and underinsured.

I totally agree. But it all boils down to the medical. By taking off my "Uninsured Motorist/Nonstacked" from my policy I now am not covered for medical expenses if someone hits me and:
1. leaves the scene, or
2. does not have insurance and it is their fault, or
3. is underinsured and it is their fault.
But even though I dropped the "Uninsured Motorist/Nonstacked" my bike still gets fixed no matter who hits me, if they have insurance or not, or who's fault it is. It only effects the medical part of the equation.

Since I have good health care coverage that will kick in anyway, it certainly was not worth almost 50% more for motorcycle insurance each year. If you don't have health care, or extremely poor coverage, then I suppose you would have to consider paying $400 or $500 more on a policy for this. But even at that you are gambling that #1 you are probably going to get slammed into, and #2 when you get slammed into it won't be your fault, and #3 the idiot that slams into you will not have insurance for your medical.

Just wanted to make sure Florida riders understood that when you see "Uninsured Motorist" on your policy it has nothing to do with an uninsured person hitting you and your property not getting fixed. It is medical coverage for you when uninsured people hit you.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for the info. Insurance is one of the hardest things to figure out. O read the policy and think it means one thing and then find out I am totally off base.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I don't know about other states but in Florida, if you are a passenger or a pedestrian and are in a road traffic accident it's your vehicle insurance which takes over your claim. So if you don't have uninsured motorist and are hit walking across the street and they run you will be glad you have the extra coverage.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Originally Posted by uklauren
I don't know about other states but in Florida, if you are a passenger or a pedestrian and are in a road traffic accident it's your vehicle insurance which takes over your claim. So if you don't have uninsured motorist and are hit walking across the street and they run you will be glad you have the extra coverage.

That is absolutely true. I guess each person just has to look at what type of medical insurance they have. If it is crappy then it could be worth paying auto insurance companies all the extra money.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Well it's not just medical bills, don't forget you may have to be off work for a while or even for good, loss of enjoyment of life etc etc. A patient of mine got hit crossing the street recently, the person that hit him only had $10,000 minimum insurance, 2 months later he is still in rehab with 2 broken legs. The driver has no property or anything to go after, the pedestrian, our patient, didn't drive so he has no Personal Injury Protection. Royally screwed.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Again, I agree with everything you said. Everyone's insurance has to be tailored to their needs and requirements. I am retired so my financial security through insurance coverage isn't as important now as when I was younger and raising 6 kids.

Between car, motorcycle, and home the insurance company was getting over $3,500 a year from me. Now down close to $3,000 and working over the homeowners policy.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Insurance In Florida