"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for quick mountian getaway.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:43 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for quick mountian getaway.

Two work projects pushed out on me suddenly. So I found myself with some free time. Told my boss I might take Thursday and Friday off this week.

I think I want to get out of Florida to ride for a few days. Trying to think of a good mountain trip that's not all that far away (Georgia maybe?). Also half thinking about Maggie Valley / The Dragon, but I'm doing that the beginning of next month, so might want to discover something different while I can.

Want to get back to South Florida Saturday late afternoon, early evening. Or who knows, maybe Sunday afternoon, but doubt it. Really wont make any decision until tomorrow afternoon (could have work I need to tend to).

So.... any suggestions?

- Want to avoid Atlanta.....
- About 10 hours from Ft. Lauderdale area. Want to get to destination in 1 day, ride the next day, head home the following.

Last edited by SoFla; 04-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM
uride2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
Two work projects pushed out on me suddenly. So I found myself with some free time. Told my boss I might take Thursday and Friday off this week.

I think I want to get out of Florida to ride for a few days. Trying to think of a good mountain trip that's not all that far away (Georgia maybe?). Also half thinking about Maggie Valley / The Dragon, but I'm doing that the beginning of next month, so might want to discover something different while I can.

Want to get back to South Florida Saturday late afternoon, early evening. Or who knows, maybe Sunday afternoon, but doubt it. Really wont make any decision until tomorrow afternoon (could have work I need to tend to).

So.... any suggestions?
Headin to Pensacola 4 a SCRC State Rally going to B in the 70`s what the temp in the mountain

Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by uride2
Headin to Pensacola 4 a SCRC State Rally going to B in the 70`s what the temp in the mountain

Just using Maggie Valley as a gauge... high in mid 60's low in 40's this weekend

Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM
BigDawgB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding up to the N. Georgia mountains is an easy weekend trip.. Helen, Cleveland, Blairsville. There's some great riding up there.. You can ride the Gauntlet and a couple other routes they have named. I usually stay in Helen when I'm there..

If you take US 1 north out of Jacksonville.. you can pick up 441 north of I-16.. take 441 north, and the bypass around Athens.. and you are in the Mountains.. 441 is 4 lane divided highway most of the way up and you don't have to deal with Atlanta.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDawgB
Riding up to the N. Georgia mountains is an easy weekend trip.. Helen, Cleveland, Blairsville. There's some great riding up there.. You can ride the Gauntlet and a couple other routes they have named. I usually stay in Helen when I'm there..

If you take US 1 north out of Jacksonville.. you can pick up 441 north of I-16.. take 441 north, and the bypass around Athens.. and you are in the Mountains.. 441 is 4 lane divided highway most of the way up and you don't have to deal with Atlanta.
Sound real good. Thanks!

Is Helen the Swiss looking town?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
Sound real good. Thanks!

Is Helen the Swiss looking town?
Yep, that's it.
I'll be heading that way next week.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I like Helen better than Blairsville...The Dragon is a couple hour ride North of Helen.....only about 60 miles away.....but because of the terrain.....it takes a couple hours.
Also, Look up a ride called "the Gauntlet."

Chuck

Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks you guys. Depending on how work goes to day.... think Ill head to Helen tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a fun trip.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Try the "Moonshiner" and the "Cherohala Skyway" both really nice! Love riding up there.

Quick Reply: Looking for quick mountian getaway.