The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Stock pipes or Louder pipes?
Stock pipes for the stealth factor
16.27%
Louder pipes for safety all the way
83.73%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Noise or Safety? 11/09 AIM article with poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts
Default Noise or Safety? 11/09 AIM article with poll

There is a column written by Chris Maida (Editor) in the November issue of American Iron regarding noise vs. safety and "loud pipes."

This is interesting as there is quite a debate brewing on whether or not "loud pipes save lives." My pipes are loud, but not overly loud and have kept me safe until this point. Maybe it is just the luck of the draw, but what are your thoughts?

I find it refreshing reading this article as Chris says "rumble pipes" are mandatory for personal survival on the road in an urban environment. "Rumble pipes" are defined as Rinehart True Duals in this article. I find the Rineharts to be LOUD. I live in an urban environment as well and completely agree. I have other bikes that are quiet as can be and it is quite apparent that cars that do not hear you or see you are more likely to hit you.

I know that this is a problematic issue between various factions of bikers, but I still stick with louder pipes. My pipes are vance and hines fishtails and are not overly loud, but have me safe until this point in time.

He continues on in the article to explain that when he is driving the company truck with music blasting he can hear a bike with louder pipes as opposed to a bike with a stock configuration. He also talks about how he can see drivers twist their head around looking for him when they hear his bike coming. Sounds like a a little louder is better and I agree.

The article finishes discussing "respectful" use of loud pipes which is not impossible at all. There is no need to rev your bike continuously so as to say "look at me" at every corner, stoplight, etc.

So lets find a happy medium so that we can stay up and alive on two wheels without drawing too much negative attention. This is America, the land of the FREE. Take advantage of what there is to offer.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

With the cagers doing everything, well almost everything, while behind the wheel except driving, something has to get their attention. Auto mfgs. are making the vehicles more insulated from outside noises, when they don't hear sirens guess where the stock pipes fall in the audible world.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Stock pipes for my own enjoyment, (sorry, that wasn't one of the choices so I didn't vote).
Whether I'm out for a peacefull ride through the country or just cruising along listening to tunes.
I don't want to hear the same song over and over. Reminds me of a guy that used to drive me home from work when I was in Junior high. Every night he had the same tape playing (REO Speedwagon You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish). To thank him for the rides I bought him REOs greatist hits that had just been released.
He explained that he was so sick of REO, the tape had gotten stuck in his player and wouldn't eject.

The sound of a well tuned engine sounds good at any volume but I don't want to listen to it every trip for hours on end, besides some of the loudest bikes I've heard didn't sound well tuned at all.

Last edited by piasspj; 10-05-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, being heard is the first step towards being seen; loud pipes are definitely a safety issue for me!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If loud pipes really saved lives, wouldn't all Gold Wing riders be dead? Personally, I don't buy that loud pipes are a safety feature for a long list of reasons.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dogpile.com/clickserver/_...D&_IceUrl=true

Loud pipes don't save lives? The Oakland Police Dept. says they do..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I think the problem isn't so much the pipes it's the people using too much right hand in residential areas.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
If loud pipes really saved lives, wouldn't all Gold Wing riders be dead? Personally, I don't buy that loud pipes are a safety feature for a long list of reasons.
I was just thinking the same thing.And although I have loud pipes, I didn't install them for saftey.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At Delmarva Bike week I was stuck beside a dude with straight pipes in stop and go traffic. I think he had right hand St. Vitus Dance, after about 10 mins I was wishing I could take his straight pipes and bend them around his block head..

Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

There is louder and just plain loud, and people wonder why so many places are cracking down on loud pipes. When I hear obnoxious loud pipes all I think is, I'm glad they don't live next to me. I might change out my pipes oneday and how loud the pipes are will be my first consideration, I'm not 20 years old and what my neighbors think matters, especially if I'm just wrong.

BTW I get the safety part, but to be heard from five streets away is pointless, IMHO. I didn't vote because I don't completely agree or disagree with either.

Last edited by EricD10563; 10-05-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Noise or Safety? 11/09 AIM article with poll