"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Bike Shopping in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Bike Shopping in Georgia

It's hard to tell from their websites: which dealers (closest to Columbus) have the largest selection of used bikes?

I can't decide exactly whta I want, so I'm planning a day trip to spend test-riding. It would be a bonus if the bike I actually buy is from the same dealer, but right now I'm looking to compare and ride:

Sporty 1200 (probably Custome and "Nightster" models)
FXD - straight replacement for my bike
Street Bob
Fat Bob
Softail Custom
Softail Deluxe

Wide Glide parts are too hard to come by and it looks like you pay a premium for them.

Chattahoochee (here in Columbus, and in Birmingham) just doesn't have the inventory.

Suggestions?
(BTW I'm looking to buy before the end of the month... anybody know of any great deals?)

Last edited by JHL-ShinySideUp; 02-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tifton H-D had quite a few bikes there earlier this week. If you've got 2 days, Marysville TN H-D has a HUGE showroom.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Thanks for the tip. I've bookmarked their site.

For the record ... why, oh why don't dealers list prices on their sites? Tifton has several bikes I *might* be interested in, but I really don't want to call them and ask for prices and details on seven motorcycles. I'd rather be able to narrow it down to two ... but I can't, because all they show is the mileage and three photos.

Come on, folks, I'm actively shopping within about 200 miles, and if you make it hard for me, there's ALWAYS another dealer who will make it easy for me to buy their bike.

[/rant]
BTW, Monkey Sammitch, what do you do that brings you up through GA into TN? Seems like you're ALWAYS on the road!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

http://www.killercreekharley.com/

Pick up the phone and call Elvis or Okie. Matt is the sales manager and swears he will beat any other dealer around here if buying new. They are the sales leader in the SE according to Matt.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If your determined to go through a dealer instead of an individual such as Craigs List, Cycle Trader ect. I would definately check with Smokey Mtn HD in Maryville Tenn. There prices smoked everybody I checked with down here a year ago.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Talking

Why are ya determined to buy from dealer?

Reason I ask...
Had a buddy (with a little influence) inquire about a used '11 RGU at a certain dealership.

Cut all the b/s... what is your bottom dollar, out the door price? Told them that I didn't care how they played their "shell game," was only interested in one number...TOTAL.

After getting his bottom dollar number, found one on a craigslist search 135 miles away. Went to look at the bike with cashiers check in hand. Bike was as described, and after a 2 mile checkride; I handed him the check. Rode the bike home.

SAVED MYSELF ($4000) FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS OVER THE DEALERS "ROCK BOTTOM PRICE." Exact same stock bike. 4 Large will go a LONG way to getting the bike suited to my needs.

I've been watchin' for my bike fer quite some time. Knew exactly what I wanted (one of those UGLY bikes, and Ultra at that!) It's been a national search [ALLOFCRAIGS] because I'd travel wherever it took to get it...just so happens it was practically in my own back yard.

My advice would be to narrow it down to THE bike you want, then search it out. Dealers are in the biz to make money (rightly so.) It's really tough on lot's of folks right now... lot's of nice bikes @ great prices in the flooded market now.

IMHO, your just past the prime "winter" buying season. Cartersville HD is having a sale at the moment, but was advised by a salesperson that those prices will disappear on the last day of this month. The return of warmer weather will increase demand, and we all know the rules about supply/demand.

As a matter of fact....
I know a certain feller that will be puttin' a SWEET '99 Road King Classic on the market in the next month to six weeks. Ya know, he's waitin' on that demand component to pick the market up.

Whichever you choose, have a little patience. It's your (buyers) market right now. Your scooter is out there... seek, and ye shall find!

Best of luck,

Beav

Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beav
Why are ya determined to buy from dealer?

<snip>
Beav
Not locked into going with a dealer at all - in fact, would prefer not to, simply because of the price issue.

But I've ridden a Sportster (many years ago) and my FXD, and I've never been on a softail - I just like the looks of the Deuce and Deluxe. Before I plunk down $11K minimum, I thought it would be a good idea to see if I actually like the way it rides. After all, I can't really see how cool I look when I am riding down the road.

Most private sellers don't want to allow test rides.

I can walk into Killer Creek, and ride six bikes, from a 1200 XL to a FXSTDI. I may find out I hate softails, and I need to get over the ugly exposed shocks on the FXD. I may discover that the XL is enough for me, and I can save $4,000

You're right - the deals are out there ... I need to be patient. I just don't want to wait until the prices REALLY start to climb with the temperatures.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing you haven't already been told but yea, private seller all day long if you're buying used. You're smart though to do some test riding on the models you're considering.

Killer creek is good. Personally I've always used HD Atlanta and they're also good. HD Atlanta usually has a pretty good selection of used bikes and I assume you can test ride.

I always said I wouldn't buy new, then I didn't stick to it. Used and private seller saves huge bucks

Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Shiney,

Maybe another angle to look at...

Use your local dealer to test ride a variety of the bikes your considering. That should narrow you down to the 2 or 3 ya like. Say you get down to two you'd consider. Rent each type for a day, so you can get a real feel for the differences and likes/dislikes. After you've decided on "which" model, the search for "your" bike can commence.

Perhaps the difference in my case was that I knew which bike I wanted.

I'm pullin' for ya bro! It's a wonderful feelin' when you get yours in the garage... ya know, standin' and starin'... thinkin' about all the mods to make it "yours."

Got mine in the garage, but now I look for that slimey trail behind me when I get off the bike. Totally stock, and she's a SLUG, and sounds like a Honda!

Best of luck,

Beav

Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Shiney,

Maybe another angle to look at...

Use your local dealer to test ride a variety of the bikes your considering. That should narrow you down to the 2 or 3 ya like. Say you get down to two you'd consider. Rent each type for a day, so you can get a real feel for the differences and likes/dislikes. After you've decided on "which" model, the search for "your" bike can commence.
Yep, that's the plan. When I bought the Dyna, it was "I want the cheapest non-Sportster Harley I can find." I got a good deal ... now it's time to figure out exactly which one I want.

I'm pullin' for ya bro! It's a wonderful feelin' when you get yours in the garage... ya know, standin' and starin'... thinkin' about all the mods to make it "yours."
<snip>
Best of luck,

Beav
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bike Shopping in Georgia