The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Georgia Checkpoint Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Georgia Checkpoint Update

From the MRF:

Georgia Department of Public Safety Announces Details of Motorcycle Only Roadside Checkpoints
The Motorcycle Riders Foundation reports that the Georgia Department of Public Safety (GA DPS) has announced some of the details of the motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints. The details include some the reasoning, time frame and locations of the checkpoints.

Lt. Colonel Mark McDonough, GA DPS Deputy Commissioner, explained that the reason for the checkpoints is the rise continued of motorcycle fatalities in the State of GA from 2005-2008. There were 167 motorcyclists killed in crashes in 2008.

McDonough did acknowledge the State's education campaign in 2009, which focused solely on raising awareness of motorcyclists with all other road users. The campaign included safety presentations to school, church, civic groups and media outreach by State Troopers. The GA DPS credits the campaign with a 35 percent decrease in motorcyclists fatalities over the previous year. The Department called this historic decrease a "good first step".

The next step, according to GA DPS, is the motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints.

The first of these checkpoints will be conducted Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 from 8AM-5PM along Interstate 75 at the southbound commercial vehicle inspection station in Monroe County. During the same time frame an additional checkpoint will be established at the southbound commercial vehicle inspection station along I-95 in Chatham County, north of Savannah.

The checkpoints will check for proper licensing, DOT helmets, alcohol usage, valid tags, as well the general operating condition of the motorcycle.

Lt. Col. McDonough claims that for the average operator with the proper license and equipment the delay should take about one minute.

Additional checkpoints will be conducted in the spring and fall of 2011. Checkpoints are funded into 2012 as well.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

Germany, all over again! Whats next! effing country in the chitter

Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this for our own good but I'm glad they won't be doing it around here (Augusta).

Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

And, to add a side-note, there is NO requirement of a DOT helmet in the State of Georgia. The whole thing is a crock of $hit.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If they were really concerned with safety and motorcycle deaths, why not do the 'awarness' programs like they did in 2009? Answer: They can't write any tickets and get revenue doing that!

They say the program in 2009 resulted in a 35% reduction in deaths. Well, you "Einsteins in the DPS" DO THE PROGRAM AGAIN!!!

If some idiot wants to ride w/o proper licensing, bad equipment, bald tires, wornout brakes, etc. I DON'T CARE.

It's all about MONEY~!!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was reading where I believe ABATE in New York filed suit about motorcycle only checkpoints. This will eventually be ruled on. The negative publicity from these actions and others will eventually increase possible participation in motorcycle rights groups and things will pivot back in the other direction. Crap like this cycles all the time--right now motorcycles are the flavor of the week.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is total douchery. It's about dollars since they're doing it on the Interstates when people have to ride through Georgia to get to Florida.
Boycott!
Buy your gas in another state, especially on I-95, since the run through Ga is short. Don't eat at the restaurants. Wait til you are elsewhere.
I am going to boycott Ga. products sold here in Fl

Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM
mercury01
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't they need probable cause to pull you over? I don't know the stats in Georgia, but I would bet that the majority of fatalities are due to cars pulling in front of bikes, rear ending bikes, or stupidity of the bike driver (speed).

Whether you are wearing a helmet that exceeds the legal requirements of the State seems like a bogus check. If the regulator wants a higher standard of helmet, let them pass the legislation and, at least potentially, pay the political price.

Sounds like a fishing expedition to do what they can't otherwise do legally ... Selectively stop and search those evil bikers!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Heres something from AMA......
Bill introduced to block motorcycle-only checkpoints
March 03, 2011
A federal lawmaker has introduced legislation to prevent the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) from giving money to states and local jurisdictions for motorcycle-only checkpoints, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On March 3, Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) introduced the bill. The legislation, with original co-sponsors Reps. Tom Petri (R-Wis.) and Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), would prohibit the DOT "from providing grants or any funds to a state, county, town, or township, Indian tribe, municipal or other local government to be used for any program to check helmet usage or create checkpoints for a motorcycle driver or passenger."

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is part of the Transportation Department, recently gave Georgia a $70,000 grant to conduct one or more roadside motorcycle-only checkpoints. New York state has operated a similar program using state funds. The AMA has been tracking this disturbing development of motorcycle-only checkpoints since it first appeared in New York several years ago.

For more information, go to http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...ueslegislation.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aysrav
I guess this for our own good but I'm glad they won't be doing it around here (Augusta).
How is it for "our own good"? Most of the accidents that I see happening involve a car or truck.

Quick Reply: Georgia Checkpoint Update