The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall

The official sponsor was VFW Post 742, but when a community gets together and backs a project, this is what can happen.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091875...eat=directlink

Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

When the traveling wall was out in my area, I got to see it and also took some pics of it. I will say that it was rather impressive.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Been to DC, but couldn't bring myself to visit the Wall. This ever gets in my area, guess I should give it a try. 46 years, and some of those names still feel like a few days ago.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The wall was in Sandstone Mn. this weekend. Went to see it this morning. Very impressive although I do not know anyone that has there name on it. It still chokes me up just being close to it. The wall doesn't seem all that big as you walk up to it. But as you get closer and the names start to appear in focus it is just over whelming.

On a side note my oldest brother (by 16 years) was there in the army. To this day I have not heard him speak a word of being in the military let alone Vietnam. I have had my questions in the past but never thought the time was rite to bring it up. So I just let the subject rest and gave him his space. I always figured that if the time was rite he would bring it up and we could go from there.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
The wall was in Sandstone Mn. this weekend. Went to see it this morning. Very impressive although I do not know anyone that has there name on it. It still chokes me up just being close to it. The wall doesn't seem all that big as you walk up to it. But as you get closer and the names start to appear in focus it is just over whelming.

On a side note my oldest brother (by 16 years) was there in the army. To this day I have not heard him speak a word of being in the military let alone Vietnam. I have had my questions in the past but never thought the time was rite to bring it up. So I just let the subject rest and gave him his space. I always figured that if the time was rite he would bring it up and we could go from there.
That particular wall in Sandstone (there are several) was called The Moving Wall. From Sandstone it came south to the little town of Cleveland, Mn. My lady and I drove over from Marshall this past Sunday to see it. Although still impressive, the one we hosted, and another one that will be in Sturgis at the Buffalo Chip all next week, are more true to form in their design, with the center panels high, and both sides tapering down to the ground.

The one really nice thing, however, about the Moving Wall, is that you can see and read the names standing up, as they are all centered in the panels that are all the same height. I attached a couple of pictures I took Sunday. This one was half size, and the one we had here was 3/5th's in size, and they both were huge. I can't imagine the impact seeing the real one must have on people.

The one that came to our National PGR rallye had another display of dog tags from the KIA's of our current conflicts. That one was called The American Veterans Traveling Tribute. There's another one that will be at Sturgis next week called The Wall That Heals Traveling Wall.

Regardless of which Wall is in your area, don't hesitate to take the time to see it, and reflect on our cost of freedom.

Attached Thumbnails The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall-20140727_125110-1-.jpg   The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall-20140727_125622-1-.jpg   The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall-20140727_130433.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-30-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

At Cleveland, someone left a memory plaque of an entire group lost in one battalion.

Attached Thumbnails The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall-20140727_125846.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-30-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Jeez, we just got some bad news. The guest speaker we had at our Traveling Wall dedication committed suicide last Friday.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sct...&pid=171902807

RIP, Mark.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-31-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Riding out of the North Texas PGR, by this time last year, I'd attended 25 missions due to suicide. I've tried not to keep track this year. We'll never know what demons some of us struggle with.

RIP Mark; you've stood your final watch. Well done, Patriot !

Old 08-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Jeez, we just got some bad news. The guest speaker we had at our Traveling Wall dedication committed suicide last Friday.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sct...&pid=171902807

RIP, Mark.
So sad ... Prayers on the way.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

When the wall came to our area, we went to see it. Even though it was a replica, it was very impressive. The real one is even bigger!

Quick Reply: The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall