Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

It's somewhat messy sometimes but that's why I like the Scavenger Oil Change System. All of the dirty oil hiding in the engine is pumped out and you start with clean oil throughout the oil passages.

2 1/2 quarts coming out does sound very low though.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

That's prolly 'cause that's all the oil that was in there. Since you had the dealer change the oil, I imagine they shorted you.

I have gotten different amounts coming out in all my 19 Harleys--sometimes as little as that, or as much as 4 qts. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

What Dickie said. I let the dealer change my oil once. It was half quart short when I got it back

Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

OP, I didn't read that you did this, but when you checked it AFTER the oil change, you need to check the stick AFTER you start then engine...then add oil if necessary. If I'm reading this wrong, sorry, but I read that you checked it without starting it first. The new oil needs to circulate thru the new filter and the engine...so you'll generally need to add after you do that.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
That's prolly 'cause that's all the oil that was in there. Since you had the dealer change the oil, I imagine they shorted you.

I have gotten different amounts coming out in all my 19 Harleys--sometimes as little as that, or as much as 4 qts. I wouldn't worry about it.
What had me concerned was that the amount that came out was just about the amount I put in to bring the level halfway up the dipstick (cold), just where it should be. So I'm wondering why only 2 1/2 qts? Doesn't seem right that a quart and a half would remain in the motor. Oil pressure seems normal.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
OP, I didn't read that you did this, but when you checked it AFTER the oil change, you need to check the stick AFTER you start then engine...then add oil if necessary. If I'm reading this wrong, sorry, but I read that you checked it without starting it first. The new oil needs to circulate thru the new filter and the engine...so you'll generally need to add after you do that.
You are correct, I did start it and it did take a little more but I'm still left with a quart and a half of unused oil out of the 4 qts I purchased and the dipstick reads halfway up the dipstick, cold.
I think I'll take it for a longer ride today and check it hot.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 2009 FLTR and have been changing the oil since new. it only takes 2.5 qts (w/oil filter change) each time i've changed it. runs like a champ.
I wouldn't worry about it if you don't observe any other issues with it.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scavenger

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
It's somewhat messy sometimes but that's why I like the Scavenger Oil Change System. All of the dirty oil hiding in the engine is pumped out and you start with clean oil throughout the oil passages.

2 1/2 quarts coming out does sound very low though.
I use the Scavenger too. I run the bike on the road for an hour to get it pretty warm and drain the oil ASAP. The scavenger intake is about a quart, and it blows out about 28oz of some dirty oil. I put in 3.5 quarts and it is always spot on to the stick full level.

< the dealer probably probably shorted the OP on the oil change >

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
What had me concerned was that the amount that came out was just about the amount I put in to bring the level halfway up the dipstick (cold), just where it should be. So I'm wondering why only 2 1/2 qts? Doesn't seem right that a quart and a half would remain in the motor. Oil pressure seems normal.
It sounds like to me that they stiffed you. NOT ENOUGH oil in your scotter.

no excuses I would blister the dealers ***, this is not for fun this is real

Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why blister the dealers ***, he pulled 2.5 qts. and refilled with 2.5 qts and it put it between the add and full mark ?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Mystery