Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stretched bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Matt_laidlaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
You've got to be kidding me right? You obviously know nothing about paint. If anything, a good painter would make your bags look better than the rest of the bike. My brand new Street Glide has more orange peel than a rotten orange. When my new bags are painted, I'll have to cut and buff the rest of the bike to bring it up to the quality of the new parts. I'm glad you like your bags but don't say that factory paint is better than a quality professional painter's work. That's just ignorant.
Your new Street Glide had a lot of orange peel? This is extremely unusual I'd make a warranty claim. HD paint is among the best in the motorcycle and car industry. In fact Mercedes Benz adopted some of their processes to increase their paint quality and finish. Part of what makes the paint so good is the 3 mil clear coat. Most manufacturers and painters just don't layer on the Clear like HD does.

I be seen a lot of custom paint jobs done by really good painters. They can produce some really nice work. The paint will not have the longevity that the factory paint has and that's a fact.

Also if you're doing anything other than vivid black the paint will not match 100%. It will be very close but to a trained eye it won't be quite right.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM
ElGigante
Tourer

I run camtech bags with baddad skid plates with airride. I have scraped a couple times, but I ride agressively at times.

I really like my camtechs, but having seen most of the bags out there, I would say buy topshop and be done. They are the absolute best quality I have seen in person.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_laidlaw
Your new Street Glide had a lot of orange peel? This is extremely unusual I'd make a warranty claim. HD paint is among the best in the motorcycle and car industry.
This statement backs up my claim of you not knowing about paint. If you knew a quality paint job, you would know that every single factory paint comes riddled with orange peel. Also, once again you are posting bs, but now you are stating that your words are "fact".
Do you really think that Harley has some magic paint skills that can never be improved upon? Just stop man. Pick a topic that you know before speaking with such authority.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Matt_laidlaw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
This statement backs up my claim of you not knowing about paint. If you knew a quality paint job, you would know that every single factory paint comes riddled with orange peel. Also, once again you are posting bs, but now you are stating that your words are "fact".
Do you really think that Harley has some magic paint skills that can never be improved upon? Just stop man. Pick a topic that you know before speaking with such authority.
Every factory paint job does not come riddled with orange peel, are you being serious?

Harley doesn't have magic paint skills. They just have a multi-billion dollar facility with workers that do it day in and day out with quality control personnel that rival any strict painting process.

Please go tour the York, PA facility then tell me the typical ma' and pa' paint shop can put out equal quality work.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't see the orange peel in factory paint, you don't know sh it about paint... which has already been confirmed by your ridiculous statements throughout this thread. Like I said, you'll have a better outcome if you pick a topic you know something about before claiming you have the "facts".

Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
QUAILITY PAINTER WILL LOOK MUCH BETTER THAN A HARLEY FINISH
Exactly! Here's my BLACK aftermarket bags (which as you all know, black magnifies all flaws). My painter did an amazing job.....better than what came on my original HD bag bottoms.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again in this one- if you don't mind the look of the CVO bags (1"-3" stretch front to back), Eastern Performance in MD is the way to go. I paid $359 for mine. All holes and hardware lined up and my painter raved about them. I am SO glad I didn't drop over a g on bags. It's been almost 2 years and they've held up perfectly.

Just a suggestion.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Matt_laidlaw
Intermediate

Okay so apparently I don't know anything about paint and I make ridiculous statements. Here are some shots of the Genuine H-D Stretched bags.

My personal opinion, they are made from better materials than most aftermarket bags. Details like pin striping in the FLHXS is all done in unison with the factory bags etc.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 PM
1HD2NV
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to interrupt the kids pissing match but would also recommend Topshop. Have had there 3.5" new style for 5 years & well over 50k miles & they have held up well. Well respected painter said at the time some of the best from-the-manufacturer prep work he had seen, very little prep work was needed. Carpeted inside with false bottom is nice touch as well.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply: stretched bags