Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is ride/handling without tour pack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How is ride/handling without tour pack?

I have been thinking about removing the tourpack on my 14 limited and found several posts on how to do it.
I was wondering how the bike will feel. I imagine it would not feel as top heavy and would be lighter. Wind resistance would probably change things also. I have no problems with the handling or anything the way it is with the TP. The bike is well balanced for me. Just looking for some opinions on the differences with it removed, why folks are doing it and if it is worth it.
thanks

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,259 Likes on 3,629 Posts

I've got an 07 EGC.. Tour pack stays off unless I'm traveling more than about a week.. Handling is much lighter with it off..

Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I can't say that I notice it that much, but then I've been riding a Glide for over 20 years and routinely ride both with and without my tourpak. Don't think about it, just do it! SGs don't have one, Ultras etc do, so you'll be fine.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

My '06 feels like a different bike without the tp. As much as I miss the tourpack,I'd hate to put it back on.

The following users liked this post:
natedogg78 (02-20-2020)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is a totally different bike with it off. Feels a bit more sporty in hadling without it. I like it both ways so I just put the detachable kit on this week.

The following users liked this post:
natedogg78 (02-20-2020)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a 14 style detachable TP for my Street Glide. I can't tell the difference one way or the other for the most part. Only time I notice it is at highway speeds the bike feels more planted with the TP on.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots easier to mount and dis-mount without the tourpak.
I have a Streetglide seat that I run with the tourpak off. The ultra seat looks out of place without the tourpak. The Streetglide seat sits a bit lower and it's not as cushy as the ultra seat. It has a sportier feel and lets you move around a bit more.
My pipes are still stock, but they are noticeably louder to me without the tourpak.
The stereo doesn't sound as good with it off because there are 2 less speakers.
I haven't noticed a BIG improvement in handling, but there is some. Any weight reduction is going to help. An adjustment to the rear air shocks is usually needed when switching.
I think the bike looks sexier with the tourpak off.

I run without the tourpak unless it's an overnighter or longer....or if my Grandson wants to ride.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

My Street Glide is much more nimble and flickable without the tour pack. It is easier to get on and off.

All that weight is mounted up high, and I can really feel it on back country roads.

Going down the highway, however, I barely notice it. No aerodynamic effect, and the bike carries it easily.

Not nearly as much difference as carrying a passenger of course, but the bike is much more fun with it off.

In addition, the tour pack totally changes the looks of the bike. Difference between driving a mini van as opposed to a sports car.

Love the versatility of the quick release mounting system. When going out with G/F it makes everything so much easier. The Trunk doubles as a sissy bar, and provides a bunch more storage. (Dedicated to her of course).

When she is not riding along, the trunk is left behind, hanging on the Garage wall, waiting for the next time it is needed.

My bike is mostly ridden for recreation, and the less stuff I take along the better, however if I used the bike more for general transportation, the trunk would stay on much more.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine is much faster without the Tour Pak.

At least my brain thinks so...

Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I can't say that I notice it that much, but then I've been riding a Glide for over 20 years and routinely ride both with and without my tourpak. Don't think about it, just do it! SGs don't have one, Ultras etc do, so you'll be fine.
+1

I added the detachable chopped tour pack to my Street Glide.
To be honest, I really can't tell much difference in ride and/or handling whether the tour pack is installed or not installed.

Quick Reply: How is ride/handling without tour pack?