Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffing Chrome Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buffing Chrome Scratches

Maybe I am the last to know but today I was ordering a new heat shield for my Rineharts because I scratched the hell out of it by scraping burnt nylon off of it. I had a jacket slide off my seat and melt all over the one shield. The scratches were a mess. Rinehart wanted $100 and if I had my credit card on me I would have ordered it. As I walked out to the driveway to get my wallet I wondered if buffing with SwirlX could help. In less than 5 minutes with a foam buffing pad and swirlX the thing looks brand new. I saved a$100 and descovered you can buff chrome without putting swirls in it. as I said I may have been the last to know but thought I would pass it on.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was not aware of it, had not really thought about it but i now have 2 places on my exhaust from when my saddlebag fell off. i tried the steel wool like i usually do and it didnt help. will have to give this a try. you buff by hand?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a foam buffing pad with my drill which I had from a headlight cleaning kit. I think the foam and speed made the difference.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by All Aces
Maybe I am the last to know but today I was ordering a new heat shield for my Rineharts because I scratched the hell out of it by scraping burnt nylon off of it. I had a jacket slide off my seat and melt all over the one shield. The scratches were a mess. Rinehart wanted $100 and if I had my credit card on me I would have ordered it. As I walked out to the driveway to get my wallet I wondered if buffing with SwirlX could help. In less than 5 minutes with a foam buffing pad and swirlX the thing looks brand new. I saved a$100 and descovered you can buff chrome without putting swirls in it. as I said I may have been the last to know but thought I would pass it on.
Nice where did you get the SwirlX from? Sorry never heard of it but i know the old bike has scratches on it and the new one will too soon enough

Batman

Old 09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
pipedog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meguiars Swirl X -- Looks like wally world and auto zone have it , probably just about any auto parts place.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its readily availible at most retailers

Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok thank you. Didnt realize it was mcquires by the first post.

Batman

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The next time you burn something on your pipes/shields,,use easy off oven cleaner,,,,heat up the pipes, spray. wait, wipe off with rag or nylon scrubby,,(when pipes are cool enough,,,and also,,protect painted areas,,,

Old 09-23-2014, 04:36 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be glad you have chrome heat shields. Black heat shields and slip-ons are allot less forgiving.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by seph10
The next time you burn something on your pipes/shields,,use easy off oven cleaner,,,,heat up the pipes, spray. wait, wipe off with rag or nylon scrubby,,(when pipes are cool enough,,,and also,,protect painted areas,,,
Or you can use Mr Clean Magic Eraser on pipes.Can use it with the pipes cool and it won't damage painted surfaces.

Been using McGuires swirl remover on chrome for years to freshen it up,I prefer doing it by hand with microfiber cloth.You can also use it on windshields to remove fine (and not so fine) scratches.

Quick Reply: Buffing Chrome Scratches