Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapered Pushrods Needed for Mild Cam Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tapered Pushrods Needed for Mild Cam Upgrade?

Finally decided on the Woods TW-222 cam upgrade for this winter's project and am looking at adjustable push rod kits. It ssems logical that tapered pushrods would not be as noisey with a more aggressive cam since it allows for more side-to-side movement without hitting the tubes. S&S pushrods are not tapered but Woods and HD Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods are. S&S has good reviews; Woods is good but, without replaceing the tubes, apparently a PIA if follow on adustmenst are required; and I can't really find anything one way or another on the Screamin Eagle. I'm wondering if a tapered adjustable pushrod is necessary for a relatively mild cam upgrade.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:59 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
Finally decided on the Woods TW-222 cam upgrade for this winter's project and am looking at adjustable push rod kits. It ssems logical that tapered pushrods would not be as noisey with a more aggressive cam since it allows for more side-to-side movement without hitting the tubes. S&S pushrods are not tapered but Woods and HD Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods are. S&S has good reviews; Woods is good but, without replaceing the tubes, apparently a PIA if follow on adustmenst are required; and I can't really find anything one way or another on the Screamin Eagle. I'm wondering if a tapered adjustable pushrod is necessary for a relatively mild cam upgrade.
You need a adjustable pushrod anytime you change to a cam with a different base circle. The 222 cams are far from aggressive. the se tapered premium are a good choice.

Don't forget your going to need a tuner. tts is what I prefer

Last edited by sporacer; 09-26-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Most all replacement cams are going to use the same base circle that the stock cams use. Anything for the street anyway. I had a bad experience with Woods push rods collapsing on me. Yes maybe all my error but still with them such a PIA I cut them out and replaced with Screamin' Eagles and never looked back. You do know you can go from the top and not use an adjustable at all don't you.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the Fuelmoto adjustable pushrods on two of my bikes. I would recommend them.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a little more work but if you can use OEM puch rods might save some aggravation.
Could also open the oil drains under the breathers whils at it.
Russ

Old 09-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

To answer OP's question, NO you do not need the tapered pushrods. There are also Screamin Eagle non-tapered pushrods available and they are about $30 cheaper than the tapered ones, in addition to being easier to adjust They also come with the new tubes that are necessary. I am running them in my bike with Andrews 48H cams and they are quiet and work fine. Super easy to adjust.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 AM
7Sixpack7
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same cam and used fuel Moto adjustables. This cam's base circle is different from stock. You will need adjustables with these cams.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check smith brothers push rod they made it for fuel moto

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
There are also Screamin Eagle non-tapered pushrods available and they are about $30 cheaper than the tapered ones, in addition to being easier to adjust They also come with the new tubes that are necessary. I am running them in my bike with Andrews 48H cams and they are quiet and work fine. Super easy to adjust.
Se's would probably be fine if you can get a set where all 4 are straight. I've come across 2 sets now where the female end was drilled crooked on a couple of them. I'll never buy another set. Smith Bros. from now on or as suggested Fuel Moto which are made for them by Smith Bros.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

I brought the S&S ones for my cam change, however they would not stay 'locked' up, in the end purchased a set of SE ones, much thicker and better quality.

Wish I had saved my money and brought the SE ones first.....

Quick Reply: Tapered Pushrods Needed for Mild Cam Upgrade?