Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popular accessories/mods for SG

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM
FireFighter200
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Popular accessories/mods for SG

Hi everyone. I purchased a 14 SGS and I was looking aroundand trying to figure out what are the popular accessories/mods for the streetglides. From what I gather, the wind screen and a set of slip-on’s are thefirst route people take. Anybody else have any suggestions for accessories/mods?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Oh, just about everything... LOLOL.
Stereo, that will run you around a thousand or close to it.
New exhaust system will be around another thousand, headpipe and slip ons.
Tuner and free-er flowing aircleaner, another thousand.
Tour pack and lowers, about $1700.
That pretty much covers the bigger ticket stuff.
How's that sound?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above post is very true. I'll throw in floorboard extensions and a seat that your passenger will actually enjoy. SG isn't much different than all the touring bilkes.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I will second the above posts , and add the Ape Hanger handle bars

Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Might as well add a docking kit for a backrest/luggage rack and eventually a headlight to the list.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
KaozDesigns
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reading these posts and crackin my *** up, all of this stuff is on my list except for the headers and slipons, already running True Duals with Rineharts.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

You shouldn't need the new stereo...

The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change mufflers, pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it!

If you're not leaning toward mufflers, then definitely the seat first... or windshield. Maybe windshield first, then seat.... but if you get a seat that changes your position, it may not work with the new shield... definitely seat first....

It is your wallet and your scoot. Only you know what accessories are popular with you.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM
FireFighter200
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for the info. Currently, the only mods I have done are Rinehart slip-on’s and a detachable back rest for the wife. I thinkthe stock seat is pretty comfy and the wife has not yet complained. I was thinking my next mod would be the windshield to help reduce the head buffering.

Is there a preferred windshield over another? Also, has anybody put the lighted controls on? If so what did you think?

Last edited by FireFighter200; 10-21-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

Before you simply replace windshields, try this: next time you feel the buffeting, take your left arm and hold it accross your chest, parallel with the ground. If this reduces the buffeting, you have air coming from underneath the fairing/shield. If not, then you have air over and around the fairing/shield. More often than not, you will find the buffeting is caused by air coming up from under the fairing. I have 13 SG and I put the ugly fangs on and that cured my issues. There are many things to consider when searching for buffeting, but this is a simple test to make sure you're not chasing something that isn't there.
And don't pay too much attention to us....at least as far as accessories go!! get what you like, what pleases you. It's your bike and your first concern should be your comfort or style, or whatever you like. We all have our opinions....and some stink!!! Just remember you will always get more than you asked for here!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots of choices in shields. I believe that anything with a curve at the top works the best. Us snowmobilers have learned that many years ago.

I prefer the 6.5" Klockwerks. I think it flows the best with the lines of the batwing.

I don't think there is a need for lighted controls. Their position should be second nature while riding. You should not be looking down at your switches when you have to turn on your turn signals!!

More seat time on the bike and you will not need to look at you controls.

Quick Reply: Popular accessories/mods for SG