Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will fiberglass bags begin to have stress cracks over time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will fiberglass bags begin to have stress cracks over time?

I was talking to one of the guys that I ride with , which is also a painter, about installing top shop extended bags and he said to be sure to get ABS and to stay away from all fiberglass. He said if it was just a show bike that I was just going to ride for short distances then fiberglass would be fine. He claims that if I do long rides, that the vibrations from my bike would cause the fiberglass to begin to spider crack. He said at the least the paint would start to show stress cracks. He said the ABS bags do not have this issue. I have never heard of this nor read anything about it here on this forum.

I told him I thought that I read somewhere that the ABS bags have an oil that weeps from the bags well after they have been produced causing issues with paint later down the road. He disagrees with this statement.

Is he correct about the fiberglass having issues with stress cracks or paint spider web cracking? I’m sure some of the cheaper bags might show this more than the high end bags.
Thanks
Rick

Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Nonsense! On a sample of one, my 1990 Glide, owned from new, has no cracks in its bags. My tourpak is even older and is also fine. Both have travelled extensively across Europe, bulging at the seams, with no ill effects. Also both have been repainted since new. My glassfibre batwing is a 1983 and is also fine, no hint of a crack.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't even know where you would get fiberglass lids...

HD bags are ABS, and have been for years. Yes, there is mold release in ABS, but proper surface prep eliminates any adhesion problems.

If you look at the "unfinished" side, and it is smooth and black, it is ABS.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
If you look at the "unfinished" side, and it is smooth and black, it is ABS.
On the glass fibre bags and tourpaks the interior is also smooth but light grey.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paint and body shop guys usually think of fiberglass stress cracks on C3 corvettes that were run pretty hard whenever the F word is mentioned.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 AM
RickK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by orangevette
paint and body shop guys usually think of fiberglass stress cracks on C3 corvettes that were run pretty hard whenever the F word is mentioned.
And that is what he used for comparison. He told me to look closely at a vette that was built with 100% fiberglass and I would see the spider cracks and the bad paint issues.

Rick

Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No issues at all in 6 years and 113,000 miles of normal use, including 4 miles per day on a dirt/washboard road.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Yep, seen lots of older Vette's with the stress cracks around the windshield and fender. Typically caused by flexing and twisting of the body when ran hard. But a saddlebag is hardly a car and very few Harley's have enough HP to induce a stress crack of any kind. I would still opt for ABS however because of it's durability and resiliency.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
No issues at all in 6 years and 113,000 miles of normal use, including 4 miles per day on a dirt/washboard road.
OT - Hey Arizona - just curious if you've had any issues with your belt or rear pulley with the dirt road. I just had to replace a worn rear wheel pulley on my 2012 with about 48K on it. I've been down a few dirt/gravel roads too and think that may be part of the cause.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM
rheology1
Advanced

I'm pretty sure Top Shop bags aren't pure fiberglass. They have fiberglass in them but not solid. They're arguably the best bags on the market. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Will fiberglass bags begin to have stress cracks over time?