Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another seat dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 AM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another seat dilemma

I have a 2005 CVO electra glide, and the seat is nice looking but man it is like riding on an anvil. I love the fact it is low profile because I am short. So, I thought I would send it off to get it modified to Meancitycycles (I think that is their name), and they emailed me back and told me they could not modify the screamin eagle seat and for me to buy a road king, or ultra seat and send it to them and they would modify that. I don't think I want to buy another seat, AND have it modified. I would purchase a new seat in a heart beat if someone could guide me to a VERY comfortable trip taking seat. I don't want a seat just because it looks cool, I gotta have something comfortable, AND I want it to look good. I emailed a few other seat mod people and they tell me they can modify my seat no problem, however, I am confused because I feel like Meancitycycles was being straight with me in telling me trying to mod this seat was a very difficult dilemma. I would LOVE to maintain the nice look of the CVO seat cover if possible, and I am not against having a seat custom built and getting it covered similar to the CVO seat cover. So if anyone has any ideas, let me hear them. If I buy a new seat, I want one that has memory foam layered, or something specifically for comfort, not just another seat with a cool looking cover. Hope someone has some good ideas. Thanks, better yet, my backside will thank you!

Last edited by immusicman; 10-24-2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

In my experience, "hard" seats are MUCH more comfortable than soft ones for traveling.

I ride a Corbin, which is quite firm. Feels hard when you first sit on it. But unlike the stick seat, 500 miles later, it is still comfortable.

Might I suggest some sort of cover?

I have a FULL SHEAR (3") sheepskin cover, which offers much comfort over distance, just soft enough to feel good, and prevents sore spots.

There are also those here that swear by the Airhawk pads.

Either might be less expensive than a custom seat, and you still retain your stock CVO.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Buying a used Ultra or Road King stock seat and sending it to Mean City is going to get you a very nice and comfortable seat for a lot less money than buying after market IMHO. Mean City does a great job and the seat will look and feel just the way you want it.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Most on this site including myself find that the HD Hammock is quite comfortable as is the HD Sundowner.
Been there and done that on the seat mod and find the aforementioned more comfortable.
The only way to that is catch them at a rally have them mod your seat how you want it, ride it around for a couple days and then have them tweek it to your taste. Didn't work for me through the mail order thing though.
Also check out C & C seats.

Last edited by lionsm13; 10-24-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Maybe you could pick up a used RK seat in the Classifieds or Ebay or Craigslist. I got one for $100 and sold it for the same money after I sold the SESG. I agree SE seats suck for comfort but you'd do better to hand onto the original seat if you ever sell the bike.
I was told by a seat maker that the reason he can't modify a SE seat is because the leather won't fit right and he'd have to recover it completely.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
In my experience, "hard" seats are MUCH more comfortable than soft ones for traveling.

I ride a Corbin, which is quite firm. Feels hard when you first sit on it. But unlike the stick seat, 500 miles later, it is still comfortable.

Might I suggest some sort of cover?

I have a FULL SHEAR (3") sheepskin cover, which offers much comfort over distance, just soft enough to feel good, and prevents sore spots.

There are also those here that swear by the Airhawk pads.

Either might be less expensive than a custom seat, and you still retain your stock CVO.
agree 100% with the Corbin.
I hate riding on "facial quality softness", feminine hygiene padded seats for more than an hour but I can do a myrtle beach to memphis kamakazi turnaround and still be able to walk after riding on a seat like a corbin.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Danny Gray, Longhaul 2 UP. Built in airhawk system for rider and passenger.Best seat I've ever had.
Check out their website,Lots of custom options.A little bit expensive but worth it. Real leather with custom stitching looks as good as it feels.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 AM
green hd
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Never wold have thought a harder seat can be more comfy than a soft one. A friend went to Corbin and had a seat made for his Victory. I sat in it and thought I was seating directly on the seat pan.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by green hd
Interesting. Never wold have thought a harder seat can be more comfy than a soft one. A friend went to Corbin and had a seat made for his Victory. I sat in it and thought I was seating directly on the seat pan.
Yes it's true, A seat does'nt have to be thick with spongy padding to be comfortable.It's the thick foam that causes most problems after sitting on it for a couple hours. The Airhawk can be adjusted while riding, Start out firm and then release a little air as needed it changes the pressure points and you can feel your butt and legs again. I've had back surgery and wont ride on any other seat now.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by green hd
The soft foam collapses, which feels more comfortable when you first sit on it.

After an hour or two, my hip bones BURN.

I don't think there is a "quality" seat manufacturer out there that makes "soft" seats.

The Danny Gray is not a bad option either, I have a Speed Cradle Solo that is nice and firm... just built for someone shorter than me.

Quick Reply: Another seat dilemma