Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide Special Monkey Bars Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
blackmajicwoman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide Special Monkey Bars Install

Greetings fellow Riders,

Fairly new to HD Forums and have already solved numerous issues thanks to all of you! Onto my next project...changing out the stock bars for Paul Yaffe 12" Monkey Bars. So let me start the debate, do I need to change out the clutch and brake lines? Do I need the 4 and 5 wire extensions for left and right side? Do I need TBW extension?

Some post indicate just the 4 and 5 wire harnesses need a small extension. Many of the aftermarket wire extension companies (LA Choppers, NAMZ, Burley, Guerilla) all indicate that ONLY the 4 and 5 wire extensions are needed and TBW is adequate. Further, I could not find any info on whether the stock hydraulic clutch and upper brake line needs to be replaced, and if so to what length beyond stock (i.e. +2", +4", etc.)

After reading here that dealing with Yaffe was not the easiest, I found them to be quite pleasant and very helpful on the phone. As advertised by the tech on the phone I dealt with, he said replacing my stock 2014 SGS bars with Yaffe 12" Monkey Bars would NOT require change out of ANY cables or lines! I find this difficult to believe because the stock SGS bars are ~9" and I am going to 12".

I am hoping someone out there has installed a pair of 12" Yaffe (or equivalent) bars on an SGS and can provide some insight. I'd like to have all the parts on hand (if needed) before I start the job. Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
BlackTez
Cruiser

following

Old 10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed these exact bars on my '14 Limited.
You need the NAMZ (or equivalent) 8" extensions for the hand controls.
Stock TBW has plenty of length, just make sure you tape and secure the green plug or it will cause problems. Or you can get the SE TBW which does not have that plug. I used the stock with no problems.
The stock clutch and brake lines will work, you just have to clip a couple of zip ties and move them around. Plenty of slack tucked in the fairing.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

According to my dealer, you can't use heated grips with internal bars. Congratulations on performing yet another impossible task as per HD. LOOKS GOOD!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the namz wire extensions. There great plug and play. Make sure you tape up the green TBW connector. I didn't the first time and it came undone, had to pull it all out and do it again.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Street Glide Special Monkey Bars Install-image.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Rodney54
Cruiser

is there any advantage to the SE TBW vs the stock TBW besides the lack of a plug?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, this is the only picture I have from behind. Maybe this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Street Glide Special Monkey Bars Install-image.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I installed the 12" yaffe bars on my 2014sgs. I only extended the control switch wires with the HD kit. Part #6920034 I believe, cost was $30. Clutch and brake hoses were ok after re routing them.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Part Number

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I installed the 12" yaffe bars on my 2014sgs. I only extended the control switch wires with the HD kit. Part #6920034 I believe, cost was $30. Clutch and brake hoses were ok after re routing them.
I can't find that part number on the HD site. What part is it that you had to purchase? Also, did you do the bars yourself? Finally, where did you buy the bars?
Thanks in advance.
Z

Old 03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Troytrent
4th Gear
Default Yaffe Monkey Bar 12 on SG14

I just installed these on my SG14. I did torque the 4 bolts on the clamp at 26 thats what the repair manuel calls for but when I sit on the bike. I pull on the bars down or push up to see if the feel loose they have a little play. Anyone else's monkeys do this maybe they are suppose to have a little play

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide Special Monkey Bars Install