Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break In Period

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM
RoadSlayr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break In Period

Well, just bought a '15 FLTRX. It's 53 mostly non-highway miles to work; rode pretty normal there. Wrenched on the throttle a few times on the way home. Totally forgot about the break in period. Dealer also forgot to mention it on the way out when I bought it, but it was still my responsibility. Nothing bad to speak of happened, but I'll probably be keeping it below the 3500 rpm threshold. Not sure it it matters, but I did hit between 4000 and 4500 a time or two. Seen posts that are both the ride it like you stole it from the purchase, and those that believe the bike is all but done for if you go outside the guidelines here. Anyone have any actual problems (piston rings or others) from not abiding by the break in "rules"?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2008 Fatboy and 2011 Road King are still going strong with no issues. I didn't strictly adhere to the break in guidelines but didn't abuse either of them during the break-in period.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

You are more likely to have blow by issues down the road by following the "break in rules" that were written by lawyers, not mechanics.

Ride it like you are going to ride it.

I run mine in hard, and have no excessive blow by. Babying it can cause the rings to not seat properly.

If you want to see what the manufacturer really thinks of their "break in rules", go to York and watch what they do to them right off the line.

I bought my last one 2 states away, broke it in hard on the throttle, and hard off for the first 10 miles, then jumped in the interstate and run it home with the cruise set at 75.

Never had a lick of trouble out of that 2011 103", and had it for 30k miles.

Here's an informative link...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And another from Hastings, who makes most of the piston rings out there.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTi..._procedure.htm

More reading.

http://hqperformance.blogspot.com/20...n-and-afr.html

At the end of the day, it's your decision.

But there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride....

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

I am not saying I completely agree with this, but there is quite a bit to it.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You are more likely to have blow by issues down the road by following the "break in rules" that were written by lawyers, not mechanics.

Ride it like you are going to ride it.

I run mine in hard, and have no excessive blow by. Babying it can cause the rings to not seat properly.

If you want to see what the manufacturer really thinks of their "break in rules", go to York and watch what they do to them right off the line.

I bought my last one 2 states away, broke it in hard on the throttle, and hard off for the first 10 miles, then jumped in the interstate and run it home with the cruise set at 75.

Never had a lick of trouble out of that 2011 103", and had it for 30k miles.

Here's an informative link...

And another from Hastings, who makes most of the piston rings out there.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTi..._procedure.htm

More reading.

http://hqperformance.blogspot.com/20...n-and-afr.html

At the end of the day, it's your decision.

But there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride....
+1. I always break em in like I ride em too.
Never had to buy one of those spit cup kits to keep oil off the side of the engine, filter, and front of my right leg.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

This subject seems to be brought up quite often. Why I don't know. The break in procedure is in your owners manual.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadSlayr
Anyone have any actual problems (piston rings or others) from not abiding by the break in "rules"?
I asked this question a few years ago and got no responses. I come from the ride it like you stole it group. I break in all my new engines like that including mowers and garden equipment.

There are a few things you are trying to accomplish with break-ins. You want to set the rings into the cylinder walls which is usually completed within the first 50 miles in the proper conditions. That requires some cylinder pressure to get maximum expansion of the rings. Most folks think that means a constant mildly aggressive increase of throttle to medium RPMs, but you actually get just as much effect by letting off the throttle for engine braking. For those who use the Mototuneusa technique, it is important to make sure the engine is at working temperature and to not let the engine overheat. I believe a few runs on and off the highway will achieve a good setting of the rings.

Then there is the internal parts wear from different RPMs. Parts expand and contract as a result of engine temperature and RPMs. So to make sure the parts are wearing evenly, the rider needs to run the engine at different RPMs for the first 500 to 1000 miles. I am surprised that Harley recommends keeping max break-in RPM below 3500 rpms because there is still a lot of room for proper engine wear between 3500 and 5500 RPMs. But I’m assuming they don’t want riders to cross the line of abusing the engine in constant high RPMs. Again there is the problem of overheating the engine and that can be done in higher RPMs on a hot day. Harley recommends the rider break-in the bike by running a various speeds, but the same result can be accomplished by just maintaining the same speed and shifting up or down a gear to change the RPMs. I personally spent a few minutes running the engine in the higher RPMs.

Break-in is also kind of a misnomer, once the rings are set and the engine has gone through a few heat cycles, the engine is broke-in and now just in a constant state of parts wearing. But since most (about 90%) of the normal wear of an engine happens in the first 1000 miles (some experts say 3000 miles), that is why we think of it as break-in. If you were to sample your oil every 3000 miles, you would find some residue from wear all the way to its end. So to get an even wear for that first 90%, the rider should vary his RPMs through the ranges he plans to use his bike. As for setting rings, if the rider is nervous with the ride-it-like-you-stole-it method, then I suggest riding in town making sure to get up to the speed limit quickly and engine breaking for slowing down at the stop lights. A few sporty accelerations up the highway on ramp works nice too.

While I can understand not wanting to do a hard break-ins of your new $25,000 investment, but you shouldn’t baby it either. At the very least ride it like you would normally ride it.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 10-29-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I asked this question a few years ago and got no responses. I come from the ride it like you stole it group. I break in all my new engines like that including mowers and garden equipment.

There are a few things you are trying to accomplish with break-ins. You want to set the rings into the cylinder walls which is usually completed within the first 50 miles in the proper conditions. That requires some cylinder pressure to get maximum expansion of the rings. Most folks think that means a constant mildly aggressive increase of throttle to medium RPMs, but you actually get just as much effect by letting off the throttle for engine braking. For those who use the Mototuneusa technique, it is important to make sure the engine is at working temperature and to not let the engine overheat. I believe a few runs on and off the highway will achieve a good setting of the rings.

Then there is the internal parts wear from different RPMs. Parts expand and contract as a result of engine temperature and RPMs. So to make sure the parts are wearing evenly, the rider needs to run the engine at different RPMs for the first 500 to 1000 miles. I am surprised that Harley recommends keeping max break-in RPM below 3500 rpms because there is still a lot of room for proper engine wear between 3500 and 5500 RPMs. But I’m assuming they don’t want riders to cross the line of abusing the engine in constant high RPMs. Again there is the problem of overheating the engine and that can be done in higher RPMs on a hot day. Harley recommends the rider break-in the bike by running a various speeds, but the same result can be accomplished by just maintaining the same speed and shifting up or down a gear to change the RPMs. I personally spent a few minutes running the engine in the higher RPMs.

Break-in is also kind of a misnomer, once the rings are set and the engine has gone through a few heat cycles, the engine is broke-in and now just in a constant state of parts wearing. But since most (about 90%) of the normal wear of an engine happens in the first 1000 miles (some experts say 3000 miles), that is why we think of it as break-in. If you were to sample your oil every 3000 miles, you would find some residue from wear all the way to its end. So to get an even wear for that first 90%, the rider should vary his RPMs through the ranges he plans to use his bike. As for setting rings, if the rider is nervous with the ride-it-like-you-stole-it method, then I suggest riding in town making sure to get up to the speed limit quickly and engine breaking for slowing down at the stop lights. A few sporty accelerations up the highway on ramp works nice too.

While I can understand not wanting to do a hard break-ins of your new $25,000 investment, but you shouldn’t baby it either. At the very least ride it like you would normally ride it.

Beary
Good write up Beary.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
This subject seems to be brought up quite often. Why I don't know. The break in procedure is in your owners manual.
Indeed - it's really quite easy! I don't recall how many new bikes I've bought over the last forty-odd years, but giving them an easy start, referring to the owners manual, has never failed me.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The critical part of heat cycling has already past. I would just ride it normal for the next 500 miles. Don't baby it or beat the crap out of and you will have a good running engine.

Quick Reply: Break In Period