Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 SG - Ape install thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 PM
G9803
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 SG - Ape install thread

So I have a few threads I was bouncing around posting about the install. Might as well make it official. I just finished extending the wires, installing some cyclesmiths 16" apes on my 06 Streetglide (purchased used in July with 4,xxx miles). Can't wait to get them installed and also hoping I can finish this job without any further hiccups. Didn't even bother calling HD dealer to get a quote I already know it's a crazy price.

So onto my first question, as I was rewiring the right hand controls, a metallic plate fell out, very small and almost looked like a shim of sorts, V shaped. Fell out in the chrome control itself, where the turn signal, started etc reside. Also a small black piece of plastic that looks like it has a curve and screw hole in it, which I'd assume is where the one of the two screws tighten into to close the hand control housing. Any ideas? I can post pics tomorrow, it's getting late and I already spent about 6 hours on the bike today.

PartsFich doesn't show much- ideas?

http://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.c...HES|~RIGHT\KBM

Last edited by G9803; 10-31-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I believe 16 & 8 are the pieces you are referring to. They go in the lower half of the control housing, right under the throttle grip. The screw pushes the rubber pad against the throttle grip to create stiffness or "cruise". You can see this pic in full on the parts fiche. Pull your model up and scroll down to throttle control.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM
blackswampbiker
Tourer

the above post is definitely what the plastic curved piece is the V shaped piece is brass it is the wedge that holds the brake switch into the control housing the brake switch is next to the throttle cable you will see the black plastic brake switch that wedge fits between that plastic brake switch and the control housing and just holds the brake switch in place

Old 11-02-2014, 06:56 PM
G9803
Cruiser

Thanks guys, you're both correct, that black piece is the one I was referring to and the other piece I am going to try and place into it's position now.

UPDATE: Running wires is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***! I have spent a ridiculous amount of time these past two days shrink wrapping and soldering. I just got 5 out of the 20 wires through the bars. Back to the garage I go.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 PM
G9803
Cruiser

I've been working on the bars since 7am this morning, just now getting done with the wiring. The girlfriends father came over and helped me out, he had a great idea and we ran with it. Needless to say his idea was much better than mine and all the wires are now ran. We need to do some soldering and we're done.

After that, I need to run new throttle, idle, and clutch cables. Then, have to run all my brake lines to the master cylinder and to the front calipers. I'll update the post once it's all finished with some pics of the new apes.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

What was the problem with the wiring that was taking you so long?

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 AM
G9803
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
What was the problem with the wiring that was taking you so long?

So I had the extensions from Namz, soldered them (for some reason... when I should have crimped). Long story short, I made a thick bundle, even thicker. Then soldered and unsoldered, back and forth. Nothing I did, made the bundle smaller, or easier to place into the bars.

My girlfriends father came over, had the idea to run straight 18g wire through the bars, then simply solder the connections rather than use butt connectors and or other connectors. So we started soldering last night around 7pm, and got most of the wires through and connected. Got some more soldering to do then onto the next project.

Next in line, I had to mount the bars, put the front fairing back together, test everything then run brake cables, throttle, idle, and clutch cables. I suppose this is about the half way point of the project. Just looking forward to getting it done.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Did you put any type of sheathing around the wire harness?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by G9803
Running wires is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***!

I've been working on the bars since 7am this morning, just now getting done with the wiring.

After that, I need to run new throttle, idle, and clutch cables. Then, have to run all my brake lines to the master cylinder and to the front calipers.
And people wonder why dealers charge what they do.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 PM
G9803
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
Did you put any type of sheathing around the wire harness?

Yes, shrink wrap and even some electrical tape.

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
And people wonder why dealers charge what they do.
Now that I know what to do, it's not bad at all. I was frustrated beyond belief but the g/f's dad stopped over and showed how wise he was . Needless to say he could have saved me a ton of time if I would have taken him up on his offer earlier in the week.

I'm learning still, so we're rolling with the punches for now.

Quick Reply: 06 SG - Ape install thread