Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohlins shocks,

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Best thing to take the jarring affect out of the ride would be a Hammock seat.

Combine with high end shocks and you get the full magic carpet treatment.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by brett2413
How are they for felt rebound? Wife has a bad back and I'm looking for something that will take the jarring affect out of the ride.
Excellent. My wife and I did a trip of around 2,500 miles around Europe a few years ago and we eventually took the quickest route for the last few days, because she was so uncomfortable on the back. The only change we made was our Ohlins, then we did a similar trip the following year.

These things smooth out the smallest irregularity in the road, as well as absorbing every bump and pothole we hit (East Europe is not known for the quality of its roads!) and we never bottomed out once. Most important we were both more comfortable and after we got home realised we could have carried on for a long time.

I'm sure Howard will help you build a suitable set of shocks for the two of you.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM
samason
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my#2's ! The handling is AMAZING ! Howard is good motorcycle people !

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Try the #2 series Ohlins s36e, if you can park your ego, they are outstanding shocks for about $600 ish and unless your name is Roberts, Rainey, Mamola, Swantz, or Lawson they are probably more shock than you will ever need.
What's the difference between #2 and #3 series besides another $200? I'll look into them but if I'm gonna spend $600, might as well spend $800, if they're worth it? Only want to have to buy some good shocks once...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Onedef1
What's the difference between #2 and #3 series besides another $200? I'll look into them but if I'm gonna spend $600, might as well spend $800, if they're worth it? Only want to have to buy some good shocks once...
The #2 are emulsion shocks, #3 are divided, the #3's are better if you need them. If getting the best is your goal then get the #6 shocks. Like I stated parking your ego will save you money and time. Ask someone with the #3's last time they spun a clicker. Oh I'm certain they will tell you the divided is better but do they need them? Howard gets his valving so good that the adjustability feature is nice but in my mind unneeded. And don't even get me started on a 3"-4" travel shock needing a separator for a touring bike with a non linkage type suspension cruising down the interstate. But hey its your money get what makes YOU happy.

The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (07-04-2016)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe i didnt need #3's but i figure i only want to buy them once and i've wasted more than $200 on other stuff that i'm not sitting on for 500-5000 miles at a time. i rode today cause the weather demanded it! i cant wait to get rid of my progressive 11.5" 412's. they look good and for solo they're ok but not for 2 up and comfort

Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Don't forget to upgrade your forks also. If you don't you're stupid.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:37 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a set of 3-3's several years ago. Sold that bike. Have tried several other types of shocks in the interim, have the HD Premium hand-adjustables (12") at this time (like on the SGS), and am going back to 3-3's. Never tried the 2's. Thought about it. But with the 3's being known entities for me, I'll go with what I know.

The 'downside' for me (if you want to call it that) is the 3-3's raise the SG a little compared to the present stance. But it's not much, plus the comfort is so much better for that extra 3/4" in height or so, it's really no big deal.

Alan

Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Alan, Howard cam build the #3 in several heights, so there are options over the 13" #3-3. However a feature of these shocks is that we can set the sag at the correct height, of 1/3rd total travel, while many shocks will sag more than that. A cheap 13" shock may well sag more than a correctly set #3-3, meaning the seat height will be lower than with the Ohlins.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The #2 are emulsion shocks, #3 are divided, the #3's are better if you need them. If getting the best is your goal then get the #6 shocks. Like I stated parking your ego will save you money and time. Ask someone with the #3's last time they spun a clicker. Oh I'm certain they will tell you the divided is better but do they need them? Howard gets his valving so good that the adjustability feature is nice but in my mind unneeded. And don't even get me started on a 3"-4" travel shock needing a separator for a touring bike with a non linkage type suspension cruising down the interstate. But hey its your money get what makes YOU happy.
The last time I spun my "clicker" was last summer right after my return from a week long 2 up trip to Nashville and the Dragon with the bike loaded for bear. IMO being able to set my suspension for the ride conditions is a plus.
I will admit that other than touring I set and forget the rebound adjustment.
Every time I have tried to "cheap out" when buying something for the bike, I have come to regret it.

Quick Reply: ohlins shocks,