Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing grips, how is it possible to break the brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default replacing grips, how is it possible to break the brake switch

Silly question, but just installed get a grips on my 14 street glide and have read u can break the brake switch if u don't wedge a piece of cardboard between the lever and perch, applying the brake. Curious how it's possible to break this piece just splitting the housing open to remove/install the grips? Install went pretty smooth, had to dremel the crap out of the lip on the clutch side to get the housing to close around it. Brake light works fine but seems I have to pull the lever pretty firmly to actuate the brake light, pretty sure if I messed up the brake switch though the brake lights wouldn't come on period??

Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM
slick hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time if it's broken it will stay on pretty much all of the time or come on for no reason.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 AM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think its normal to have to "pull firmly" to get the brake lights to work.
I barely pull mine and the brake lights work. I did use the shim though. I figured if it was in the directions many switches had been broken or damaged to get it in print.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Because, if you don't shim, that little piece of rubber/plastic covering the switch assy snaps and...voila = tear it all apart (again) to swap this part too. If you don't know it's there, and don't read/follow instructions, it's pretty easy to damage it during re-assy.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Brake light should come on when lightly pulling lever,if not something is on a bind.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

I'm pretty sure my brake light came on like this before the grip change. As I pull the lever and feel the pads engage is when the light kicks on

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

OK I've been doin this a long time. The earlier models from about maybe 07 down, the brake light was operated by a small plastic button that protruded through the housing and was depressed by the lever. The early models had a pretty thin wimpy switch button that was pretty easy to snap off, I did it on my 06 Road King. That's why the shim was needed, usually the thick end of a zip tie worked good. The later models don't really have that issue. You still should use the shim but it a much beefier design that doesn't break near as easily. The newer bike also require you to loosen the housing more as you kinda hafta roll the lever into place. If you do snap off that button, the replacement piece is pricey and a real PITA to replace unless you have the fingers of a brain surgeon

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 645 Likes on 337 Posts

When you pull the lever for the brake it doesn't depress the brake light switch. It releases the brake light switch. The switch is normally compressed. If you leave the lever in it's "home" position the paddle will make contact with the side of the switch and not slide in past it. If you force it you could potentially break the switch. It is specifically addressed in the service manual in bold print.

Edit: I just went into my 0 degree garage in my jammy pants to double check mine. It's only a small amount of movement in the handle before the switch starts to work. You don't want to have to pull that far before the light comes on. I use mine just to tell people to back off, without engaging the pads at all.

Last edited by Buelligan666; 02-28-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
When you pull the lever for the brake it doesn't depress the brake light switch. It releases the brake light switch. The switch is normally compressed. If you leave the lever in it's "home" position the paddle will make contact with the side of the switch and not slide in past it. If you force it you could potentially break the switch. It is specifically addressed in the service manual in bold print.

Edit: I just went into my 0 degree garage in my jammy pants to double check mine. It's only a small amount of movement in the handle before the switch starts to work. You don't want to have to pull that far before the light comes on. I use mine just to tell people to back off, without engaging the pads at all.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

So if mine doesn't light up until the pads contact, is there anything obvious to look for that may be wrong?

Quick Reply: replacing grips, how is it possible to break the brake switch