Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Pass Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 AM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default EZ Pass Transponder

Where is the best place to put a EZ Pass transponder on a Ultra Classic. I know that I can stick it on the windshield, but hate taking it on and off. Would it work if it was in a windshield pouch? Or the Fairing glove box. Planing on taking some road trips this summer, and wanting to get everything ready.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default good question

i got one for the bike and 2 cars about 2 months ago i thought about making a small bracket at work out of thin stainless steel and sliding a flap down behind the lower windshield where the screw to hold windshield down is havent got started on it yet. may a be good project at work tonight see what i can come up with not sure how water proof these things are i figure it may be fairly dry at lowest point behind the windshield just about the fairing.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 AM
smkinnan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine works great in the center windshield pouch

Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Illinois doesn't require a transponder for IPASS, on a motorcycle. They bill you, based on your license plate. Call your jurisdiction and ask.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put mine in the tour pack just behind the backrest on the vertical part of the lid. Never had a read problem mounted there.

It's never in there. State has a problem seeing the plate using their overhead camera system. Plate is registered so when they see the plate at off ramp toll plazas they just look at it as a no read and charge my account.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:05 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 on the windshield pouch. just make sure its pointed the right way. also just sometimes carry it in a shirt pocket. never had any problems with it.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Illinois doesn't require a transponder for IPASS, on a motorcycle. They bill you, based on your license plate. Call your jurisdiction and ask.
In Ohio, if you don't have a transponder you are not getting through the gate. I can't help the OP, I'm still trying to find a location that works well. I had it on the front part my saddlebag lid so I could leave it there and lock it, but it doesn't want to pick up all of the time.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

in maryland, as long as you have a transponder, and its registered to your bike, if there is an occasion it doesn't pick up you still run through and they pull it from the account. no big deal. as mentioned earlier, windshield pouch has always worked well. i wonder if you could mount it to the inside of the fairing. only thing is it would be dedicated to the bike. i have two, one for the wife and her vehicles one for me and mine. i could probably get a third and dedicate it to the bike only but i have no problems with them.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:17 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

When I know I am going to be on toll roads, I mount it on my windshield (using the mounting strips). It's below the brackets, is hardly visible and works great. But when I don't know I'll need it, it is mounted to the top inside lid of my right saddlebag. Surprisingly, it reads just as well from there. Had I known that, I might never have bothered with the windshield mount.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Put it in saddlebag, ride to far side of lanes and let Tourpak cover license plate. Flying under radar.

Quick Reply: EZ Pass Transponder