Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Dumb Transmission Fluid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 2 Dumb Transmission Fluid Questions

I'm no mechanic, so these questions may be the dumbest you've ever read. (Bike is a 2011 RKC)

1. When checking the transmission fluid, should the bike be warm or cold? The service manual seems to suggest cold, but it doesn't come right out and say it. (It just says to let it rest for a short period of time if it's just been ridden to allow the fluid to equalize.) Other sources say to warm the bike up and shift through the gears before checking, but they also say to check the fluid with the bike upright and the manual clearly says to do it on the jiffy stand. Which is it--warm or cold?

2. When I checked it cold, the fluid is at the bottom of, or just below, the marked range of acceptable levels on the dipstick. If I want to bring it up to the middle of the range, how much fluid should I add to move it from the bottom of the range to the middle of the range? (I don't want to overfill.)

Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think letting it rest after riding or cold would be the same thing as long as you give it time to drain back if you have just ridden it. As far as how much to add, I would just add an ounce at a time until you reach the desired level and make sure when you are checking it that you don't screw in the dip stick. This is from the owners manual if you didn't know.

When checking the transmission lubricant level, the motorcycle should be leaning on the jiffy stand. If the motorcycle was recently moved or ridden, allow a short period of time to equalize lubricant level in the transmission compartments

The procedure could be different for purple bikes, not sure. LOL, Just kiddin Kurt

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 04-17-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Both the Service Manual and Owners Manual for my 2015 FLHTK say to "check the transmission level at room temperature" on the jiffy stand with the dipstick screwed in so the o-ring is just touching the case.

You will figure out how much to add.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Both the Service Manual and Owners Manual say to "check the transmission level at room temperature" on the jiffy stand with the dipstick screwed in so the o-ring is just touching the case.

You will figure out how much to add.
That is not what the owners manual says for a 2011 touring bike.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Correct on both scores. The 2011 service manual is silent about the temperature and says NOT to thread the dipstick back in, just to "rest it on the top of the threaded hole."

Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's the quote from the 2011 touring manual:

When checking the transmission lubricant level, the motorcycle should be leaning on the jiffy stand. If the motorcycle was recently moved or ridden, allow a short period of time to equalize lubricant level in the transmission compartments.

Since the transmission doesn't get scalding hot like the engine, I don't think the level is going to change that much from cold to hot. And also, the manual suggests checking it as part of your pre-ride ritual. That infers cold.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 AM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish they would pick one method and stick with it. This way we would all know the correct way to check the oil levels.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
\

Sorry, right after I posted this I went back in and edited that my manuals were for a 2015.

I think the OP should check it cold, take it for a ride and see if it makes a difference. Too cold and windy here to try it.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the bike was serviced. The trans fluid was changed so as long as the correct ampunt was put back, and the bike is not leaking from anywhere, why would you need to add or even check. I maintain my bike and if there's a leak I fix it. So as long as there is no leak then as far as I'm concerned there's no need to check till next service. Is your bike leaking?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I wish they would pick one method and stick with it. This way we would all know the correct way to check the oil levels.
Not to mention the lean angle differences when over on the jiffy stand, which results in different levels for the dipstick. For the love of a straight down dipstick that you read with the bike upright.

Quick Reply: 2 Dumb Transmission Fluid Questions