Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
radrex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering an Ultra

I plan on trailering my Ultra out to Myrtle Beach Bike week next month and was wondering how to strap this thing down so I don't screw up anything.

What is the recommended strap location?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Trailering an Ultra

rachet straps and soft ties, front from crash bars or handlebars and rear from passeger footboards worked for me.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 PM
sbbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this thread https://www.hdforums.com/m_771610/tm.htm

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you see my motorcycle on a trailer dial 9-1-1, it has been stolen!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This one I have to remember, just wonderful.
ORIGINAL: dougbk

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't a lighter, sportier bike be more suitable to be trailered?

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got an '05 Ultra, and after much experimentation, here is what I've found worked best for me:

Soft-strap loops around the frame at the neck of the bike -- just in front of the tank -- and then attach hand cinch straps to the trailer. Put on the right one first, while the bike is still on the sidestand, then the left. As you stand the bike up, cinch the right strap tighter. You'll be pulling against the left strap slightly. When both are snug, and the bike is standing upright, push down on the front forks and simultaneously snub the straps. This compresses the front forks slightly, but doesn't over-do it where you'd bust a seal (usually a problem with the ratcheting straps or come-alongs). These two straps can attach to your trailer slightly forward of right angles from your bike.

Then from either your front or rear crash bars, attach ratcheting straps to the trailer, angling back from the point of attachment on your bike. This keeps the bike from moving forward.

Finally, what others perceive as "overkill" on my part, I also run a ratcheting strap through the rear wheel and snub that pretty tight (not putting any pressure on the spokes) and another through the front wheel. Then check all straps in place and make sure they are tight.

DON'T ATTACH STRAPS TO THE HANDLEBARS. Also, make sure the straps aren't touching anything else on the bike (fairing, frame, etc.) as that area would then be prone to wear from the straps rubbing on them.

Finally, make sure you check the straps on the bike after several miles, and again at each stop, to make sure they haven't stretched or come loose.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I have trailered my Ultra and straped it across the frame neck with a towel wrapping the strap. Had no problems and will do it again the next time I trailer.. But everyone has there own comfort zone that they feel that works best for them. You will have to figure out what is best and what you feel is safe for you..

Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

I use to carry my Ultra all over the country on the back of our motor-coach. I normally used six points to tie the bike down to the lift I used. I just went to any place that was hard mounted to the bike, usually engine guards and the like...

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/33754E88D035401483F7844492444898.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: dougbk

You do have your opinions - However before you slam/flame someone for putting THEIR bike on a trailer - you might want to look at the reason - not to say if its any of our business but I know of several people who just can't handle the long rides anylonger {Medically}- they still love to ride - so they trailer to a spot and enjoy... I agree - ride as much as one can but not everyone is the same / thank God..

Quick Reply: Trailering an Ultra