Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Panic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM
chunkybug
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Panic!

Hey gang....had an "issue" yesterday on the way to work. First time out this year....it has stopped raining and snowing....for now. 22 miles to work in stop and go Chi-town traffic. I noticed that the oil pressure was running quite low when waiting in stupid traffic. It was lower than I remember from last year, so I was a bit panicked. Go to work, google a few things, but no peace of mind. So I decide to ride home anyway and as I get get home the gauge is low, like at the first major tick mark.... Anyway, I park it and decide that I would get a new mechanical gauge and try that. I went to HF and got their Oil Pressure test kit, not bad for $29. Removed the sending unit and hooked up the gauge.
So today at a cold start, I got 48 psi. As the bike warmed up, the pressure began to drop as expected, so I wrapped the test hose around the bars and went for a ride, about 15-20 minutes. At 2000 RPM, the book says 30-35psi, I was easily at 37-38...all good so far. At 3000 RPM I was at 42PSI. Now....I hit the driveway and let it idle and heat up even more. Gauge was 17-18 and showed no signs of any further drop. The book say 8PSI min at idle. So much for my panic. I went over to my local dealer, bought a new sender, and also discussed the data I collected with one of the mechanics. He said not to worry, "those are good numbers". Given that, I installed the new sensor and noticed a difference in gauge display. I was pleased to see the gauge actually registering the higher pressures that I was getting and that the needle drop was not as bad as the original sensor. So, no panic. As the Tech said, trust a good mechanical gauge first. The message.....pay attention to the changes and find root cause. Sometimes it's the easy fix. I assure you, we have all been on the wrong end of these things. Today was not one of those days!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting. Everything I now know about oil pressures I learned from this post. Nice!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad your story had a happy ending for you! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been told to not pay attention to the oil harley gage much, had the same issue with my 2011 RGC. If there is any oil pressure problem you will have the red oil light come up. More than one HD mech. told me that if the red oil light won't come up you are good, just a bad and inaccurate gage.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

by the time the "idiot light" comes on it is too late, the damage has been done, up to and including your main bearings and crank being shot.... it comes on at something like 5 psi, and by that time the oil filter is being bypased but I digress...

In the 9 year I have had my 03, I think I have replaced at least 3 oil pressure senders.

I have not figured out why they keep changing value, but they did.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

SO...you had no problem?

Originally Posted by chunkybug
Hey gang....had an "issue" yesterday on the way to work. First time out this year....it has stopped raining and snowing....for now. 22 miles to work in stop and go Chi-town traffic. I noticed that the oil pressure was running quite low when waiting in stupid traffic. It was lower than I remember from last year, so I was a bit panicked. Go to work, google a few things, but no peace of mind. So I decide to ride home anyway and as I get get home the gauge is low, like at the first major tick mark.... Anyway, I park it and decide that I would get a new mechanical gauge and try that. I went to HF and got their Oil Pressure test kit, not bad for $29. Removed the sending unit and hooked up the gauge.
So today at a cold start, I got 48 psi. As the bike warmed up, the pressure began to drop as expected, so I wrapped the test hose around the bars and went for a ride, about 15-20 minutes. At 2000 RPM, the book says 30-35psi, I was easily at 37-38...all good so far. At 3000 RPM I was at 42PSI. Now....I hit the driveway and let it idle and heat up even more. Gauge was 17-18 and showed no signs of any further drop. The book say 8PSI min at idle. So much for my panic. I went over to my local dealer, bought a new sender, and also discussed the data I collected with one of the mechanics. He said not to worry, "those are good numbers". Given that, I installed the new sensor and noticed a difference in gauge display. I was pleased to see the gauge actually registering the higher pressures that I was getting and that the needle drop was not as bad as the original sensor. So, no panic. As the Tech said, trust a good mechanical gauge first. The message.....pay attention to the changes and find root cause. Sometimes it's the easy fix. I assure you, we have all been on the wrong end of these things. Today was not one of those days!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:07 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What book did you read that said 8 psi is the minimum? Just curious as I had always seen 5 psi at normal operating temps.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

oil pressure has been discussed a lot of times on this board.most worry about low pressure when the motor gets warm.most of us have seen a front wheel bearing from a rear wheel drive automobile.with that in mind,picture that on a h-d crankpin,because that is what it looks like.not like a car rod or main bearing that produces pressure.the h-d bearing produces little pressure because of its openness.volume is of more importance than pressure on h-d type of bearing.i have ridden most types of h-d in my forty something riding career.all have little or no oil pressure when warm or hot.as long as the idiot light isnt on.its good to go.as far as oil pressure switches,i have seen them with as little as 2 lbs cutoff.

Last edited by hawg50; 04-19-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:02 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI, the first notch on the gauge is about 10 psi, the idiot light sensor is set at 4 psi.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
by the time the "idiot light" comes on it is too late, the damage has been done, up to and including your main bearings and crank being shot.... it comes on at something like 5 psi, and by that time the oil filter is being bypased but I digress...

In the 9 year I have had my 03, I think I have replaced at least 3 oil pressure senders.

I have not figured out why they keep changing value, but they did.
it could be they are getting plugged up from crap in the oil, just enough to give low readings.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Panic!