Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a question about wheel bearings on 2011 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 PM
not yours
Club Member
Received 2,713 Likes on 863 Posts
Default a question about wheel bearings on 2011 ultra

I just put on a pair of commander ll tires on my bike and thought I'd check the wheel bearings while still inside of the wheel and noticed that they wouldn't spin freely. After I put the wheels on, the front tire wouldn't spin freely. After a while I put my son's bike on the jackstand and his front tire spinned a little easier. I always thought the tires should spin easily. Are the bearings going out? The bike has about 12850 miles. If I need bearings anybody got recommendations on where to buy, and tools? Any advise would surely be appreciated.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

With the wheel removed, the bearings should glide while moving them with your hands. It's difficult to read them while the wheel is mounted because of the brakes and rotors unless they are really bad.

Replacement is actually easy. Good video here ... http://youtu.be/BFgaqePWauQ

Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Kber45
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your wheel should turn freely. It maybe that your brake pads are rubbing the rotor. For 2011 your bearings maybe part 9276 or 9276A. The 9276 bearings are brand "DK" and made in India. The upgraded part 9276A installed on some 2011 and all later bikes is a better bearing. You can replace the bearings with 9276A from HD (I think they use SFK) or use can but SFK, *** or Timken direct from a bearing house. It is a very common 25mm single row bearing (not 1" but 25mm). Timken # is P205PP. You will need a bearing puller and should have a bearing install tool. JIMS sells one, not cheap. Check Amazon and/or EBay.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:21 PM
not yours
Club Member
Default *a question about wheel bearings on 2011 ultra

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
With the wheel removed, the bearings should glide while moving them with your hands. It's difficult to read them while the wheel is mounted because of the brakes and rotors unless they are really bad.

Replacement is actually easy. Good video here ... http://youtu.be/BFgaqePWauQ
I did check before and after mounting the wheel on the bike and did think of rotor and caliber rubbing but my tire won't hardley roll. Thanks and I'm going to view the video. Also going to replace the bearings just can't believe Harley-Davidson has put out such a cheap and I mean cheap motorcycle. Thanks again

Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by not yours
I did check before and after mounting the wheel on the bike and did think of rotor and caliber rubbing but my tire won't hardley roll. Thanks and I'm going to view the video. Also going to replace the bearings just can't believe Harley-Davidson has put out such a cheap and I mean cheap motorcycle. Thanks again
Sorry for your disappointment. I've always been quite pleased.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM
not yours
Club Member
Default *a question about wheel bearings on 2011 ultra

Originally Posted by Kber45
Your wheel should turn freely. It maybe that your brake pads are rubbing the rotor. For 2011 your bearings maybe part 9276 or 9276A. The 9276 bearings are brand "DK" and made in India. The upgraded part 9276A installed on some 2011 and all later bikes is a better bearing. You can replace the bearings with 9276A from HD (I think they use SFK) or use can but SFK, *** or Timken direct from a bearing house. It is a very common 25mm single row bearing (not 1" but 25mm). Timken # is P205PP. You will need a bearing puller and should have a bearing install tool. JIMS sells one, not cheap. Check Amazon and/or EBay.
I took a pic of the bearing and it had the 9276A part#. I googled Timkin and tried to cross reference the part # but no luck. Thanks for the Timkin #. I noticed poor gas mileage and a grinding feel while riding then a humming noise, the tires were getting bald. I will be getting bearings. Thanks again

Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 PM
simonizr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dead meat

Have you check for dead varmits?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
not yours
Club Member

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Sorry for your disappointment. I've always been quite pleased.
I think it's more fustration than disappointment. I still have my shovelhead and the badboy and I wish I still had my first bike a panhead. Just pissed thats all. I will always ride and when I ride it will be a Harley, it's not just an adventure its a life style.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 PM
not yours
Club Member

Originally Posted by simonizr
Have you check for dead varmits?
Lol thanks thats funny

Old 04-18-2015, 10:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

You can get the bearing removal/installer tool for 90 bucks on ebay.
Bearings can be found a NAPA for 9 bucks a piece. Not a hard job.

Quick Reply: a question about wheel bearings on 2011 ultra