Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King tour pak refurbishment questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 PM
TX50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King tour pak refurbishment questions

I currently have a cheap Mutazu tour pak on my FLHP because I wasn't sure how much I would use it. Of course I never take it off. Realizing that it was a cheap, short term solution I kept an eye out for a better quality tour pak. The search paid off as I picked up a king tour pak on CL for $100. It needs a paint buffing, new weatherstriping, and a lock assembly. It came with a lock cylinder, but no key or hook assembly. I tried searching the net and ebay, but am unsure exactly which lock assembly I have or need. Also, does anyone know of a locally available weatherstiping that I can pick up at the auto parts as the stuff that was on the pak was rotted and unidentifiable. Any guidance is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails King tour pak refurbishment questions-imag0605.jpg   King tour pak refurbishment questions-imag0606.jpg   King tour pak refurbishment questions-imag0607.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I take a piece that is on the old part and take it to a window car shop. The either have it or can order it from a catalog.
Doesn't get any simpler.
Some auto stores carry some.
I would take what part of the lock asemblely to the dealer and compare what will work.
If you can I suggest considering a CVO lid holder. It has a spool to keep the access out of the way. Very helpfully I may add.
Hope this helps

Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks like you have '85 or older Tour Pak. You be able to pick up parts at a Locksmith, if Harley doesn't carry the lock parts anymore. I have the same exact lid if you need one, brand new. PM me if your interested. I could also send you some closeup pics of the weatherstripping.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:55 AM
TX50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Some photos of the weatherstriping would be great. I didn't realize that it was such an old tour pak. In searching the internet it appears that HD no longer stocks that lock assembly. And the cheapest replacement I have found is over a hundred bucks on ebay. My good deal might not be such a good deal afterall. I guess I will research if there is a direct replacement for this style pak. If not, I may just cut my losses and keep looking for a tour pak.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have an '87, which is closer to the later style, so I agree yours is earlier, with that central lock. There used to be a narrower tourpak, before the 'king' came along!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that same style of TP. I got weatherstripping from HArley, but really, you should be able to use anything.

I upgraded the old style flat key to a newer barrel lock that matched my ignition and saddlebags. A guy on eBay sells the entire kit, PM me if you want the details.

Steve

Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Peculierboy, I would also like that information if you could drop it to me. Evidently I don't have the ability to PM yet so IF you can PM me it would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruffinit
Hey Peculierboy, I would also like that information if you could drop it to me. Evidently I don't have the ability to PM yet so IF you can PM me it would be appreciated.
No problem. His eBay store is at http://stores.ebay.com/tombuyandsell?_rdc=1

He sells the latch kits. I contacted him via eBay and asked just for the rekey kit alone and he was happy to oblige. Super nice to deal with!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Just dropped him a note. Don't know if this'll work for my '80 King Tour Pak or not, but worth looking into.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
No problem. His eBay store is at http://stores.ebay.com/tombuyandsell?_rdc=1

He sells the latch kits. I contacted him via eBay and asked just for the rekey kit alone and he was happy to oblige. Super nice to deal with!
This guy does a stand up job. He is not that far from me. When I needed parts for my TP hardware I contacted him, and he hooked me up.

Quick Reply: King tour pak refurbishment questions