Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axtell oil bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Vasilis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axtell oil bypass valve

Good day,

I am going to install the s&s 551 easy cams and the zippers dual piston tensioners in my 2007 96" street glide, I tried to look in the forum for any cons regarding the axtell oil bypass valve however I didn't see find any.

Has anyone installed the axtell oil by pass valve and what is your opinion - will it actually help or it is not necessary.

Also what about the baisley ground precision plunger in zippers website.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

I live down the street from Zippers and one of my neighbors works there. He has it on his bike and said it runs considerably cooler since he installed it. I'm also changing out the Redshift 575 cams to their 525 cams along with their dual piston cam chain tensioners.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

OK,

What about this oil bypass valve makes the engine run cooler?

Once the engine comes up to temp the valve should have no effect.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
OK,

What about this oil bypass valve makes the engine run cooler?
exactly my thoughts as well.

nothing about that bypass valve helps with cooling functions. All it does in it's simplest form is redirect bypassed oil back into the cam chest instead of the way HD designed it to bypass from the high side of the oil feed to the low side. Some say that causes aeration/spongy oil/sticky lifters/etc. but I see no proof of that other than what is "written" on the internet and we all know that's the gospel. The "theory" of the device seems believable but real-world says something totally different to me at least.

Some will disagree with the above but I don't really care.

I put it in a few thousand miles back and there is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in oil temps or engine temps with this device installed. What it does though much to my own surprise is increase my oil pressures to 50+ psi!!! I expected a little increase, didn't expect that much. When my heads get here, new cams are going in and it's coming out. I figure if HD wanted your oil pressures at 50+ psi, they would have manufactured and installed the device themselves or at least offered it in the SE product line-up.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 04-29-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Yep, by design it should cause the oil temp to rise more rapidly until operating temp is achieved, it bypasses the oil cooler. Beyond that it should have no effect.

Unless this is some miracle device I have not encountered.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

@ 200° oil temps my oil pressure is consistently at 45 - 55 psi cruising. Just not comfortable with that.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Vasilis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies.
As I understand I should avoid installing this items and I assume that the Baisley ground precision plunger should not be installed also.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

I no longer have the paper that explains how it works but here is a exert from their website on what it SUPPOSE to do:

With the Axtell valve you can expect higher, more stable oil pressure at all engine rpms, longer oil life due to reduced oil shear, lower oil and engine temperature, improved valve train control and reduced noise.

Now I only stated what was told to me/explained to me from a Zippers employee who is running it. Now Ultra Nutz it seems that you are experiencing something different which is a interesting find.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM
B18cx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the Axtell bypass. Can not comment on oil temp being as I did the Axtell piece and a temp gauge at the same time. Can say it does create a bit more confident inspiring oil pressure. Pressure seems to be a bit more stable. Don't get me wrong, the pressure does still fluctuate like stock, to a degree, but at a higher pressure. 10-13lb at hot idle.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM
shootist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey get this. My cousin has a performance for V-twin shop. They put an axtell oil bypass or the axtell oil pressure value in Doug's motor build. Goes in the cam plate. Well Doug was getting alot more oil pressure like 50 to 60 psi's. More pressure on a low pressure motor made his hydraulic cam chain tensioners push against the chain harder. The tensioner was shot right to the rivet. Doug lost oil pressure because with things going bad. He is lucky didn't' wreck the whole build. He was watching oil pressure with manual oil guage because more oil up to heads and same slow route back. He had about 25,000 miles on motor 2007 SG 106 cubic inch. He went back to stock.

Quick Reply: Axtell oil bypass valve