Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???s on street glide with DIY air ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 PM
wheeler095
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???s on street glide with DIY air ride

So I did the DIY air ride with the monroe shocks on my 2008 street glide but have ran into issues. Hopefully someone can shed so light on this for me. I have a 21 wheel on the front with a 18 wheel on the rear. When the shocks are aired down the bike will not roll. If there not aired up a good amount then the bike bottoms out on the rear fender. The tire on rear is a 150/70/18. I wanted to see if anyone else Is running this setup and what I could do to fix it. I stopped by a custom shop today and there thinking that I have to switch to a 16 inch wheel. Didn't want to have to spend that kind of coin when I just got the wheels in the first place. Anyone had this problems with the monroe shock from the DIY kits you get from Amazon? Are they to short for an 08 street glide with the stock fender? Is anyone else running an 18 inch rear wheel? Any ideas guys on how to correct this??

Old 05-01-2015, 03:24 AM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not running an 18 rear, but if I recall correctly you can only air down all the way and not hit the fender if you are running the 16 rear.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,246 Likes on 5,408 Posts

A 150/60/18 is over an 1" shorter than a 150/70/18.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-150-50r18

Old 05-01-2015, 07:06 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I had the DIY air ride on my 08 SG with the same tire size and didn't have any issues but I ran the Gabriels. I could ride mine with it aired all the way down. One thing to check is the length of the rear seat hold down screw. I switched screws once and the longer one put a groove in the center of the rear tire.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Siv24
Cruiser

Mine was a 16" stock (2000 Road King). I was advised by Hog Pro to stick with the 16", as opposed to switching to an 18. Mine might be a little different because I am running the "Dirty Air" Budget kit in the rear, and stock fender, but I can roll fine with the shocks aired all the way down. I don't ride with them aired all the way down, but can. The lowest the Dirty kit allows for is 9.5" See my post "2000 Road King Overhaul". The pics are all with the shocks completely aired down.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:16 PM
wheeler095
6th Gear

Well I went to try and find the Gabriels but they are not in stock and unable to tell me when they would be. So I'm going to try the monroe ma803. They are 10.5-16.125 inches. Has anyone ran this or know if they should work. I know I don't need the full range but was thinking I could use limiting straps if need be. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM
wheeler095
6th Gear

Well upon me checking the other Monroe's I tried something out of the ordinary first with the original ones I put on. I had the lowering brackets from the stock shocks being on. So I flipped them upside down and used them to raise the bike an inch. So the lowering brackets are upside down from there normal position. It worked as far as the clearance that I needed. Does anyone think that there is a negative with this? The bike rode fine going down the street. No rubbing or known problems. What do u guys think about the brackets being upside down? Think it will be fine?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler095
Well upon me checking the other Monroe's I tried something out of the ordinary first with the original ones I put on. I had the lowering brackets from the stock shocks being on. So I flipped them upside down and used them to raise the bike an inch. So the lowering brackets are upside down from there normal position. It worked as far as the clearance that I needed. Does anyone think that there is a negative with this? The bike rode fine going down the street. No rubbing or known problems. What do u guys think about the brackets being upside down? Think it will be fine?
Lowering brackets from the stock shocks??

Do you have a lowering kit on your bike? aka lowering blocks?

I would guess that would be your issue.

Can you post a pic of these stock lowering brackets? I was not aware of any stock part like this.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:12 PM
wheeler095
6th Gear

No I had the lowering blocks with my stock shocks on before the DIY air kit. I took took lowering blocks off when I put the DIY air kit. It was still to low with an 18 inch wheel. So I was trying to figure out how to get around buying a new 16 inch wheel when the idea came to mind to try putting the lowering blocks back on but upside down so that they raise the bike a inch. If they lowered it they should raise it if I flip them over. They did. It rolls fine now and there's no rubbing of the wheel anymore. Just wondering if there ok upside down being that the not originally made to go that way. They fit fine and look fine just don't know if it's ok to run them upside down. Any thought guys?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:04 PM
lithod02
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler095
No I had the lowering blocks with my stock shocks on before the DIY air kit. I took took lowering blocks off when I put the DIY air kit. It was still to low with an 18 inch wheel. So I was trying to figure out how to get around buying a new 16 inch wheel when the idea came to mind to try putting the lowering blocks back on but upside down so that they raise the bike a inch. If they lowered it they should raise it if I flip them over. They did. It rolls fine now and there's no rubbing of the wheel anymore. Just wondering if there ok upside down being that the not originally made to go that way. They fit fine and look fine just don't know if it's ok to run them upside down. Any thought guys?
I may have to get some lowering blocks so i can flip them on my 07 SG I am running a 150/70/18 rear tire too.
What brand did you use?

Quick Reply: ???s on street glide with DIY air ride