Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why So Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok, so got the wheel back on. Had a few things like the drive belt tensionometer tool to purchase to get the job done right. Not a big deal, but haven't ridden it yet. Gonna take some time to polish up my slip ons and chrome exhaust heat covers.

Took a look at the final bill and it was $430 for the dealer to take a walk in wheel and put a new tire on it. Thats insane.

HOWEVER, I did learn a few things in this process. Cyclegear here in Fresno does the dismount, mount and rebalance for $20 if you buy their tires which was $250. Cyclegear requires the purchase of a tube (the 2014 RK spokes are NOT tubeless...or at least these aren't) I asked why and they said for liability. I said, if the tube was holding air why change it out? They said the valve stem is steel and often times begins to rust at the point of contact with the rim. When it breaks going down the road it is an immediate loss of pressure. I went oh rrrriiiiggghhhht!

Fast forward to today...I'm at the dealer picking up my wheel and new tire and in walks a guy to the service department. He's all tweaked saying how he barely made it off the freeway. As I'm listening I realize he's telling the service rider how he was doing about 75 on the freeway and all of a sudden the rear tire lost all pressure, he got it down the off ramp and looked at the rear wheel and the stem was missing. He said it appeared there was quite a bit of rust around the hole for the valve stem. I was like "WTF? NO WAY did that just happen."

Anyway, long story short...I saved $140 over having the dealer remove and reinstall the rear wheel, so they said.

I learned quite a bit and realized that I got a chance to clean a lot of stuff I'm sure wouldn't have been cleaned by the dealer for their share of the $140.

Next time, It's check the play on the rubber isolator, check for wheel bearing damage and wear, remove wheel, take to Cycle Gear, pay about $300 to get the new tire and get it installed with tax....put the darn thing back on myself. so I think I basically paid HD about $150 to take a class on maintaining my bike...DON'T SAY OTHERWISE OR YOU'LL RUIN MY MOOD!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:57 AM
defib
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm

I live in a small town with the nearest HD dealer 75 miles away one way. there is a small tire, bike shop here. Also a Indy in flagstaff which is 60 miles away. He charged me $60 to mount and balance my rear tire last month (including R&R on the bike) I bought a Shinko 777 before my trip last month (the old tire had about 3/32 of tread left and was starting to scallop) 3,200 miles later and still plenty of tread left.

BTW I got the tire from an online dealer that is local to Az. $104 +tax w/ free shipping (tax due to being in-state) I will post up how many miles I get on this thing when I need to change it.