Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmisson Problems, Again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the 2010 has a one year only tranny- the gears are cut differently.

it is possible that this contributes to the problem

on 2010 models the 5th gear is helical cut- this makes for quieter gear mesh and smoother shifts.
but results in a side load on the shafts if stressed.

2009 and earlier the 5th gear is straight cut- noisier - but much stronger...and no side loads on the shafts/bearings/cases.

2011 reverted to old design.

on most HD tranny's back at least 58 years- the 2nd from top gear is straight cut and stronger ( 3rd in a 4 speed, 4th in a 5 speed).
in my '53 panhead manual it is suggested that top gear be used for steady cruising, 3rd be used for hills, loads or passing

the "2010 model year technical forum" is google able and shows the tranny change

mike

Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just finished a rebuild on a friends 07 cvo road king and the main drive gear bearing fails and fills the fluid with metallic slurry which get into all the bearings. You have to replace the bearings and clean everything. It seems that some dealers are only replacing the main drive gear bearing and the other bearings fail later. Mike

Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 AM
hdultra103
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your input everyone. I also doubt it was the oil because most reviews I've read about Red Line has been positive. I'm leaning more towards design and imported parts. I've had both front and rear wheel bearings fail which I imagine aren't made in the USA so I would suspect that the tranny bearings aren't made here either. I change all three oils every 5000 miles. The first time the tranny failed we were on a road trip. It was our last night in Bend, OR. I parked myself at the HD dealer in the morning and told the rest of the group to head on home. The dealer got right on it when they opened and showed me the problem a couple of hours later. Some parts had to be shipped next day so I had an extra night in Bend, OR. They got me on my way about 4:30pm the next day. Maybe they just did a quick fix to get me on the road when there could have been some other problems they didn't see. Don't really know. This time the problem happened at home so my local dealer is doing the work and I think they are getting deeper into the repair since it happened once before. As long as the warranty people keep paying for it I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Hey, maybe I can get them to pay for a Baker DD7 but I don't think they have one for my application. Thanks again for all your input. Ride Safe!

Old 05-30-2015, 04:02 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Reading their answer gave me a good laugh
Sounds like Mark wrote those answers. Witty. Pretty sure they don't have a corporate lawyer over there.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DD7 Builders Kit ordered11/28/15

I know this is an older thread But I just had to answer and give My support to Redline ShockProof Heavy...

I too broke down on my Old 00FXDS in Bend Oregon. V.Reg had to Order...The HD dealer then different now
(same out fit as Here HD in Tucson Az. bought it)

I had a 00 fxds with lots of miles on the clock. 60,000 with a RevTec 6 speed conversion gear set. Worked and lasted great Using Redline Shockproof...

I even sold Redline Lubes at my Welding Repair Business in Wa. Mostly for my riding friends and their friends then their friends etc... You get the picture...

I broke down right at the august time the New 2010 bikes were com'n into the door. ONLY ONE 09 remained in the touring department. 09 FLHR King...

I ended up riding that bike home, trading in the 00 Dyna... Parts still not IN after 3/4 days waiting... They Wanted toi Sell that Last Hog...

After buying, the HD Owner asked "Do you want ShockProof in the tranny?"

asking him How he knew I used it. lol Answered Well, It is in your Dyna...

He had More Redline on the shelves than HD oils...Said: He used it and wanted his customers Kept Happy and offered it to them also..

I bought that new (09) off the floor with a 2010 sitting right behind it. Saved some $$$$$$$$ and all were happy...

Redline has been used by me in Many owned HD's and many others bought and used it.
I sold Redline, MTL, 20/50 20/60 and shockproof to Bikers for many years...

now... Even though I am retired out of Wa. State and mostly here in SE Az.
I still keep the shockproof in Case lots for the ones too lazy to buy it off Amazon like I have to today. Cost is all I get and the SATISFACTION they use the Best...

Now with 114,500 miles on the 09 and from a 96" to a hotter 103" with 40,000 of them miles on that...

I ordered a Baker DD7 off Bakers Black Fridays Sale... over sat. 11/28 last day. Should be sending it out in todays freight.

Bought it using Jeff not Mark as Mark had the day OFF..

I will use ONLY Shockproof Heavy in that new DD7...
I have had, along with many others I know, No Problems with tranies using Redline ShockProof...

I call it the BEST...

signed....REDHEAD

aka signed....BUBBIE

The following users liked this post:
aboatguy (12-21-2019)
Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the 2010 has a one year only tranny- the gears are cut differently.

2011 reverted to old design.
All 5th gears from 2010 forward are helical cut. HD did not switch back in 2011.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
I just finished a rebuild on a friends 07 cvo road king and the main drive gear bearing fails and fills the fluid with metallic slurry which get into all the bearings. You have to replace the bearings and clean everything. It seems that some dealers are only replacing the main drive gear bearing and the other bearings fail later. Mike
=======================================

" It seems that some dealers are only replacing the main drive gear bearing and the other bearings fail later. "

Thats sad but very likely true and is an example of where this old saying came from :

" IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DO IT YOURSELF "

scott

Old 11-30-2015, 04:20 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
All 5th gears from 2010 forward are helical cut. HD did not switch back in 2011.
yes it appears I was mistaken...

i can;t remember the source where I got that.

oops

here's a pic of the 09/10 changes

mike

Old 11-30-2015, 04:24 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The trans in my 09 died at ~ 22k miles due to output shaft bearing failure. I did not have the extended warranty and HD refused to cover anything or even give me break on parts. As I recall, 09s and 10s have a bad habit of bearing failure.

At the time, I was told that these failures generally require total disassembly and rebuild with all new bearings, because shavings etc. become distributed throughout the trans. The total rebuild cost about the same as a new trans, so I went with new (2015). On reflection, I wish I had bought a Baker DD7.

Although I'm not a skilled wrench, I do not believe the OP's failure was caused by use of Redline.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

My bike has 98,000 miles. The previous owner(original owner) used nothing but amsoil 75w90 or mobil 1 75w90 since the first fluid change. The trans has never had any issues or repairs and still shifts great.

Quick Reply: Transmisson Problems, Again.