Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xotic Customs Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 AM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Xotic Customs Air Ride

Hey there folks,

Got my air ride installed this week on the RKC and here's some thoughts and pics for anyone considering this system.

First, I bought the unit directly from Xotic Customs site (http://www.xoticcustoms.com/airrides.html) but the unit is also for sale on eBay for $499 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/131194971618...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT).

Rode it yesterday for first time by myself and two-up. Overall impressions... great unit for the price. Ride has improved 1000% from the Progressive 412 series heavy duty shocks. I just couldn't get these shocks to be in the right position when I was on my own or two up and they always seem stiff. I weigh about 210 and the Mrs. is about 135. Anyway, didn't like needing to find the sweet spot (which I could never find) and what that required 9taking bag off, adjusting shock with shock wrench tool). This system is one switch (pictured below) up or down.

The shocks will move 5" of total travel which will take them a little under 2" above stock (as high as 14.25") and a little over 3" below stock (as low as 9.25") for this bike. You'll see from the pics the difference in appearance that makes.

Overall the ride with me or 2-up is comfy somewhere in the middle of the range (VERY COMFY, compared to the Progressive's). For $499 you can't go wrong and the "cool factor" of dumping the air out and slamming it all the way down is also part of the fun.

You can ride with it all the way down as it has clearance under the fender so your not touching wires, etc. I wouldn't recommend it as that's basically no suspension but... it looks cool!

My only issue is with the system fully up, your bottom shock bolts will hit your mufflers without any weight on the bike if you're running a 4" muffler as I obviously am. I will be addressing that with fishtails and a smaller diameter muffler in the near future. Not because of this but because I think the bike screams for fishtails every time I look at it! So there will be a full Rinehart system for sale soon!

Anyway, that's what I have to say on this and I hope someone finds it helpful.

Pics:

All the way up

Riding position - comfy

Slammed

Compressor location. Needed small mod to bracket. 1/2" clearance with suspension all the way up

Switch location

Slammed

Shock full up

Shock bolt and muffler - barely tiuches but only when no weight/rider on bike.

Last edited by xmen9c; 06-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:45 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Default Updated w/Pics

Bump for pics

Old 06-05-2015, 03:09 PM
treetop777
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. That is indeed a good price. But could the compressor go somewhere else? I'd be afraid it would snag on something..

The following users liked this post:
skratch (10-03-2021)
Old 06-05-2015, 05:39 PM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You caught my attention.......Hmmmmm

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Harleyriding77
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this same set up. My compressor is mounted under the right side cover. 2012 RK without ABS. My switch is mounted in the frame right where the ignition coil wires come out of the frame. I can reach it and adjust air while on the go.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry a bit off topic...how do you keep those whitewalls so clean?

Old 06-06-2015, 08:47 AM
xmen9c
Road Master

Originally Posted by Munkee
Sorry a bit off topic...how do you keep those whitewalls so clean?
LOL - magic etaser, brillo pads and elbow grease! 😜

Old 06-06-2015, 08:51 AM
xmen9c
Road Master

Originally Posted by treetop777
Thanks for the info. That is indeed a good price. But could the compressor go somewhere else? I'd be afraid it would snag on something..
Yes, it can go other places but I have ABS on my bike so only other option was to cut/trim plastic on left side or right side to make room and I didnt want to do that. No ABS, then it fits on right side perfectly.

Its just about in line with the lowest portion of the frame. So only if I ride up a curb or debris on road will it be an issue (fingers crossed, knocking on wood that doesnt happen).

Last edited by xmen9c; 06-06-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 AM
xmen9c
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleyriding77
I have this same set up. My compressor is mounted under the right side cover. 2012 RK without ABS. My switch is mounted in the frame right where the ignition coil wires come out of the frame. I can reach it and adjust air while on the go.
I can reach my switch too. Also have 08 DLX with SSHOCK. Switch is in just about same location so used to reaching there already. BTW, SSHOCK is far superior to this system but... This was only $499, not $1200-$1300. Thats a huge chunk of change when you have two bikes. 😳

This does just fine so far.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:00 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Those spokes look sick.

Quick Reply: Xotic Customs Air Ride