Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoulder surgery and apes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Shoulder surgery and apes

I had shoulder surgery a few years ago to release a pinched nerve. Every since then after about three hours of riding, I get pain that radiates from my shoulder into my neck. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't even turn my head to the right. Has anyone had a similar surgery or pain that apes cured it? Or has anyone tried apes and the condition was worse after installing them? I just would hate to make the investment to find out that they cause more pain. Thanks for anyone's input and sorry for a long post.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:51 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a full cuff rebuild on my right and arthroscopic on my left. I took the advice and worked hard at physical therapy on each shoulder and have 100% mobility in both. I've been able to ride dirt bikes for the last several years without any pain or issues. About 3 years ago, I put 16" apes on the scoot and started experiencing pain after about half an hour on the bike. Usually my right one (the one with the cuff rebuild), but depending on how long I chose to stay on, the left would start hurting too. I tried and tried to work with it, even stretching, and taking Aleve before my rides. I'm 6'4" and the apes weren't too tall, my arms were straight out when riding, so that wasn't the issue. After about 6 months of that, I pulled the apes off and put my beach bars back on. I've never had an issue since. I loved the look of the apes, but my shoulders just couldn't take them, no matter how much exercising or stretching I did.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar to RaceFace, I've had full reconstruction on my right and scope on my left because of a pinched nerve. I've never liked the look of apes (although some look cool), but I made the switch to 14" Vindiktas because of comfort (I'm 6'3").

My apes are incredibly comfortable. I did have a bit of pain in my upper back with my stock handlebars, but nothing that was unbearable. That pain is no longer evident with my apes and the comfort of my bike increased exponentially.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 AM
jgreth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had surgery on left shoulder. I had a Road King that I just recently traded in. I've tried apes on it, but it caused more pain than it took away. I now have a '15 Limited Low and it comes w/ the 2" closer standard bars. I like them a lot. I've done 4-5 hours straight without issues.

In other words... it's completely subjective. Some people think it helps, others the opposite. I wish you luck!!

Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain

Thanks everyone for posting, I agree about the bars being subjective, like seats. Hopefully more people chime in to help me make a decision.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Jake, I've had 5 shoulder surgeries, one surgical, three arthroscopic, and finally a full replacement of my right shoulder (Looks very cool in x-rays!)

Like a couple other posters, I had pain in my shoulder and neck, and my right hand would go numb with the stock bars on my Street Glide. I added Yaffe 12" Monkey Bars, and they are almost a miracle for me. Now I have no pain in the neck or shoulders, and I can ride 3-4 hours in a row until I get the slightest tingling of the numbness in my right hand. It's usually time for a fill-up by then, so I get off the bike and shake it out. Doesn't come back for another 3-4 hours.

They are very comfortable for me, and it seems like a natural position for my hands.

Try to find a bike you can sit on with apes and see how it feels for you.

It worked out great for me.

Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any shoulder issue that ya'll have mentioned. I do suffer from pinched nerves in my neck, or between my shoulder blades. My stock bars would drive me nuts sometimes. After about 30 minutes I would start wiggling and squirming try to pop that spin.
I installed 13" cycle smith's awhile back. Better, but still sometimes I would get that twinge. I rolled the bars back closer to me to create a little more bend at the elbow and it has been much better.

Last edited by SH_01FXDWG; 06-22-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM
fjt
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a bad right shoulder, no surgeries, but should have. Anyway, I put 12.5 Wild Ones Chubbys on my 2012 Ultra. Raised hands slightly above the fairing. Great comfortable position for any length of ride. Did a 1500 mile Iron Butt and never had the same issues with the neck shoulder pain.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain

Thanks all, Ray our symptoms seem to be nearly the same also didn't mention the numbness in my hand as well. I think I'm going to start out trying the Yaffee 8" bars which after much reading are closer to 10" bars.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I got apes to *prevent* the need for shoulder surgery.

Quick Reply: Shoulder surgery and apes