Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming Sound on Left Hand Sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

yup tire tread, you probably dont notice it on right hand sweepers just because IDK about you but I tend to lean a little farther on the left side.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Thanks for the responses, I figure its the tire as its only apparent when in a left sweeper, I would imagine bearing failure would hum all the time.

Thanks again.
Yep. I have it as well. I was just as worried as you, but alas, Dunlops.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:28 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Looking for some suggestions as to what would cause a humming sound (coming from what sounds like the front wheel) when taking a left hand sweeper traveling at speeds above 30 MPH. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing but I would think at only 6K miles on a new bike this would not be the case.

Could in be possible the tread pattern of the tire, but I only hear it when going left.

Suggestions would be appreciated
==================

Tire cupping and or bad wheel bearing would be most likely cause.

BTW,many things can go bad at low miles,compsensator was completely shot on my 09 at only 9,700 miles .

If it turns out to be a tire cupping issue remove the wheel wts and install proper max amount of of ride-on rec for your front tire size into the front tire which will properly balance it.

But the reason i rec here is mostloy because even thought its not mentioned by mfg installing ride on in a bike tire that noisy/humming/moaning when cornering because the material the ride-on is made of dampens the tire noise .

I found this out 1st hand on my last bike that did the same thing your was doing that when i installed the ride-on to better balance the front tire & protect it from punctures it actually stopped all the moaning/howling when cornering.

So if your tire has a lot of life left in it then it would be worth doing if you find wheel bearing to be ok

scott

Old 06-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 3,058 Posts

My 888's have a harder compound down the center for longevity and a softer compound on the sides for better handling. I wonder if that's the reason that the cornering hum is the loudest of any tire I've ever run since the day I installed it?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 PM
flex58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the tires, kick it up a notch and let the Big Dog eat!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I always thought it was the teeth on the belt connecting with the rear pulley. Figured it was more apparent on left hand sweeps because the rear pulley is closer to the ground.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Not just tread pattern but also a symptom of cupping. Tires seem to cup earlier if run the least bit low on air. How often do you check your pressure?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just your dunlops growling...all mine do it.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
I always thought it was the teeth on the belt connecting with the rear pulley. Figured it was more apparent on left hand sweeps because the rear pulley is closer to the ground.
Me too! I know it is not the wheel bearing, easy to check. I know it is not the tires as I scrape my Jackpots and that is about as far as the kick stand allows on the left side. I always figured it was the rear hub and belt sound reflected back to me.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Me too! I know it is not the wheel bearing, easy to check. I know it is not the tires as I scrape my Jackpots and that is about as far as the kick stand allows on the left side. I always figured it was the rear hub and belt sound reflected back to me.
Interesting thought, but would you not hear that hum all the time if that was the case.

I check my tire pressure about every 2nd time out or if the bike has sat for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Humming Sound on Left Hand Sweepers