Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Headpipe Identification

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 AM
toddincharlotte
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals Headpipe Identification

Hey Guys,

I bought this set of true duals off eBay [i know.....i know].

They were sold as Rinehart '97-'08 True Duals for Touring. Meant to fit my 2005 Electra Glide Classic.

I ordered the rear bracket/holder from Rinehart as the set did not come with a rear pipe bracket [one that bolts to starter.

Took it to my mechanic and he wasn't able to do any better.

I'm posting a detail pick of left side to see if anyone recognizes this hardware so I can order the right part. Did not look like Cobra or VH when I looked up that hardware. I Think the clamp that sits in the bracket should be a giveaway....it has a long stud coming off the back that is supposed to sit on the holder.

Any ideas?

Last edited by toddincharlotte; 06-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:03 PM
toddincharlotte
Advanced

Anyone? I called Rinehart and they advised it may be old school Bub pipes? Anyone recognize the clamp/holder combo shown in the photo above?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I assume you bought the whole set with the slip ons. The bub's didn't have the muffler tips that say Rinehart.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM
toddincharlotte
Advanced

Originally Posted by kojak
I assume you bought the whole set with the slip ons. The bub's didn't have the muffler tips that say Rinehart.
When I talked with Rinehart they advised they had sold a set a while back that had the Bub head pipes and Rinehart cans. I'm assuming this is either one of those sets or just a set of head pipes with the Rinehart cans.

Was just hoping [and still hoping] that someone would recognize this holder and say, Yeah!, that's a set of Basannis or Vance and Hines or Cobras....that way I can go to the company and order the correct holder.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Def not cobras

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
toddincharlotte
Advanced

Yeah.....I think they are "old" Rineharts.....I'm completely befuddled at this point.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by toddincharlotte
Yeah.....I think they are "old" Rineharts.....I'm completely befuddled at this point.
They do look like old rineharts (97-08). Could be Vance&Hines too.

The bracket should mount to sit on top of starter as you said and bolt in front and in back of it. Then you'll need another piece of hardware that attaches to the exhaust clamp on one side and that bracket on the other by way of a screw, washer and nylon nut.

That set should've come with all that stuff.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

They look like the set that's on my bike. They were on it when I bought it. The dealer told me they were Vance & Hines true duals. I just took their word on this, but I can't be certain that's what they are, as I didn't buy and install them.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM
toddincharlotte
Advanced

Originally Posted by xmen9c
They do look like old rineharts (97-08). Could be Vance&Hines too.

The bracket should mount to sit on top of starter as you said and bolt in front and in back of it. Then you'll need another piece of hardware that attaches to the exhaust clamp on one side and that bracket on the other by way of a screw, washer and nylon nut.

That set should've come with all that stuff.

So I think what's going on here....at least the way Rinehart explained it is there are two different types of '97-'08 systems. The ones made prior to like 2010 were headpipes made by bub and the 3.5" cans made by rinehart. They were sold as rinehart true duals. After 2010 rinehart started making the whole system in house.

I think I have the "old" pipes and unfortunately they don't stock the "old" hardware to go with it....only the new stuff.

Basically, I have all the parts outlined in the instructions that come with their new sets located here:

https://storage.googleapis.com/woodlawn/HK-9508TD.pdf

Do those parts on page 4 look like what you had on your Road King?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by toddincharlotte

So I think what's going on here....at least the way Rinehart explained it is there are two different types of '97-'08 systems. The ones made prior to like 2010 were headpipes made by bub and the 3.5" cans made by rinehart. They were sold as rinehart true duals. After 2010 rinehart started making the whole system in house.

I think I have the "old" pipes and unfortunately they don't stock the "old" hardware to go with it....only the new stuff.

Basically, I have all the parts outlined in the instructions that come with their new sets located here:

https://storage.googleapis.com/woodlawn/HK-9508TD.pdf

Do those parts on page 4 look like what you had on your Road King?
Yes... They also look a lot like what I had on my 2013 RKC before I changed the exhaust to Samsons. The "Starter bracket" and "Header L Tab" work together to hold the rear header in place. Those same parts were part of my Rinehart True Duals for my 2013 RKC too. Rinehart should be able to send them to you if that's what you need here?

Quick Reply: True Duals Headpipe Identification