Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no more work to be done by the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
Default no more work to be done by the dealer

So last Nov I brought the bike in for winter storage. While they were looking it over my wife sees wires sticking out by the throttle body. I told her it was normal and fine. Insulation still covering. She said it was ugly and paid to have the cover put on while they were storing it. Fast forward to tonight. I had the seat off and just puttering around under there and I notice that the 2 bolts that hold the fuel tank on are loose. I am talking being held on by about 3 threads each. the tank could be lifted about half an inch. That not even mentioning that the starting threads on one of the bolts is mauled. Found my manual for the torque specs and my tube of blue lock tight and tightened them up.

From what I see there is no quality control there. I have had other work done there, bars and all 5000 mile checks. I got the vip package. Never an issue, that I knew of, but if they cant figure out that 2 bolts are not tightened down, I have lost all confidence in them. Now looking for an indy in my area

Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
mattym687
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sucks! Pretty frustrating. Did you mention it to the dealer, see if they had an explanation/excuse? On the plus side, at least you caught it before something worse happened because of it. Glad you're safe.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Well, you know what they say. "If you want it done right, do it yourself". I guess you can add that to your list of things to do.

I do as much as I can handle on my bike with my own two hands. What I can't do I have done by an Indy and then I go over his work with a fine tooth comb. As I get older though, even the simple stuff is getting tougher. I guess when I can't do an oil change it will be time to hang up the saddle.

Last edited by danzio; 07-02-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Well, you know what they say. "If you want it done right, do it yourself". I guess you can add that to your list of things to do.

I do as much as I can handle on my bike with my own two hands. What I can't do I have done by an Indy and then I go over his work with a fine tooth comb. As I get older though, even the simple stuff is getting tougher. I guess when I can't do an oil change it will be time to hang up the saddle.
Exactly! The only reason the dealer touches my bike is warranty work.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:37 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to the world of owning a Harley! If you have spent any time at all perusing thru this forum you will note that there are hundreds, if not thousands of riders who will absolutely, positively never let the dealer work on their bikes. The only possible exception in my case is if there is warranty work to be done on a new bike. The usual reasons cited are that the service departments dings the bike by dropping wrenches or other things on the paint, sometimes they fail to tighten all the fasteners and occasionally they just leave parts off that should be put back on. If you are one of the many who either don't want to work on a machine or don't have the necessary mechanical aptitude to work on a machine, you will just have to "cowboy up", gird your loins and take the dealers abuse which is usually dolled out at about $100.00 per hour +parts. Granted, it should not be that way, but it is. And you will always have a few who will vehemently defend the service departments by saying "I have been taking my bike to Elmer Stinkweed's Harley Store for 35 years and they have always treated me fairly." To those I just silently think to myself "Well Bless Their Hearts".

Old 07-03-2015, 04:41 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I have to head over there today to pick up some oil and other things. I will have a little chat with them. Who knows, maybe get a free gift card or something.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 646 Likes on 337 Posts

How long ago did you pick the bike up from winter storage?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Are you sure this issue wasn't present before bringing bike to them for storage (e.g. factory fault). Definitely sux either way, but is it the dealer, or assembly issue?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:43 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Exactly! The only reason the dealer touches my bike is warranty work.
Ditto!!!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Are you sure this issue wasn't present before bringing bike to them for storage (e.g. factory fault). Definitely sux either way, but is it the dealer, or assembly issue?
My thoughts exactly. How does winter storage have anything to do with your issue?

Quick Reply: no more work to be done by the dealer