Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about trading for a new one

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 AM
green hd
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about trading for a new one

Been looking at the posts of guys trading for new touring bikes since harley announced the special financing and other incentives. Been thinking about trading my 99 Ultra Classic for a 15 Road Glide. My question is How motivated did you guys find the dealers? Am thinking if they can give me fair value for mine and throw in some upgrades, I might pull the trigger, just don't want to ride there and waste my time with the BS. Got about a thousand things I could be doing instead of playing some game with them.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm thinking they should give you at least $18,000 trade for your 17 year old dresser. Maybe discount the new RG 25% with $4,000 in free goodies. Heck, maybe they will throw in a free 15 year service agreement if you do it today!

If I were you I wouldn't waste my valuable time! Maybe they will come to you..........

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by green hd
Been looking at the posts of guys trading for new touring bikes since harley announced the special financing and other incentives. Been thinking about trading my 99 Ultra Classic for a 15 Road Glide. My question is How motivated did you guys find the dealers? Am thinking if they can give me fair value for mine and throw in some upgrades, I might pull the trigger, just don't want to ride there and waste my time with the BS. Got about a thousand things I could be doing instead of playing some game with them.
I wouldnt expect them to be terribly motivated by a 99 ultra, If you can, sell it privately, you'd do somewhat better.

KBB trade in is listed at $6260, for reference:
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/harle...ssic/trade-in/

Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I wouldnt expect them to be terribly motivated by a 99 ultra, If you can, sell it privately, you'd do somewhat better.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/harle...ssic/trade-in/
I agree. They will probably lowball you big time because yours is 16 years old.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Avalanche123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At sound point you will have to stomach the BS if you want to upgrade. Grin and bear it and you just might come out further ahead than you think or just keep riding your Ultra. I traded up and was happy with my experience.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu

KBB and Nada mean next to nothing. I just spent 3 hours at a dealer this week who offered me $4k on my SUV that had a trade-in value of $8k

Yeah sell outright for sure

Actually the dealer's first offer was $672. MotherF*******

Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Good luck at Sac Harley... Might try Modesto? If ya don't want to play games with dealers ya ain't gonn'na get a deal... It is the business model...

Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Personally I would give it a try. dealers will generally go by KBB, but sometimes they will give more to get you to buy. As for having to hassle with the dealers, that's just part of the game that has to be played.

Beary

Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Your best bet when buying a brand new vehicle is to pin two or three dealers against each other.

Sell your bike yourself though. Once you have that cash in hand, the only way to get the best deal possible is to get a written deal, take it to another dealer, then go back and forth.

It sucks to have to do it, but after about three trips, they get the point and the stop screwing around.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I traded in a Honda F6B, I had to beg the dealership to take it. I guess its how bad you want a Rushmore bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading for a new one