Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wild 1 chubby apes or LA Choppers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 PM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default wild 1 chubby apes or LA Choppers

I'm looking for a set of ape hangers for my 2009 street glide. I ran wild ones on my wide glide and they are excellent quality. My dilemma, they only come in 14inch, and I want to run 16's. Anyone run la's on their bagger, that care to shed some info or reviews.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Shane Grimstead
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My dad & I both bought 2015 Street Glides and the bars were one of the first things to go. We first went with the LA Choppers "Twin Peaks". They were very nice bars as far as quality, fit & finish goes. They are however designed to sit close to the fairing. My dad is 5'7 & I'm 5'8, both with average length arms I guess. We both wanted a little more pullback from the bars, more than the Twin Peaks would allow. That being said, if your looking to keep the bars slammed against the fairing (which is definitely where they look the best) I would say the Twin Peaks are something to look at.

My dad, my cousin, & I ended up going with the Vindikta SG bars on our bikes. They are built with 1.5" tubes and look massive. It does take a little "fitting" work to get them installed but it's not too bad. For us, they are the ticket. Nice amount of pull back.

This is a walk around of our bikes with the Vindikta's, all 14".

I saw where you said you were looking for maybe 16" bars so this might not be an issue for you, however keep in mind that in order to use your fairing mounted mirror you will need to get the bars at least tall enough to see the mirrors underneath the hand grips. For us, it seems like the 14" was about the lowest we could go and still see the mirrors.

Good luck with your handlebar search.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:14 PM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer

Shane,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You provided excellent information. I am looking for bars that will fit snug against my fairing, and it sounds like the la choppers do just that. Nice looking rides by the way!!!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Shane Grimstead
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a couple of pics from when we had the Twin Peaks on my dad's bike. Like I said, they really are nice bars but just weren't for us.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:04 PM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer

Jesus Lord your dad is Charles Bronson, lol.
Thanks again for the info!!!!! I think I'm going with LA Choppers

Old 07-12-2015, 06:50 PM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer

Shane,
One more question. Any of the three street glides have ABS breaks? I went to order bars and cables and revzilla doesn't know off any cables that will work with ABS. Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LA Choppers FL bars which are very similar to the Wild1 577 bars. I have a 32" sleeve length and I'm maxed out on the amount I can adjust the bars back toward me. Any further back and they would be hitting the tank at full lock. If I had it to do over, I would opt for the Wild1 577s for the additional 1" of pull back. All bars look better pushed up close to the fairing. Unfortunately, that makes them too far away and very uncomfortable for average size guys. Like most other things on our bikes, there is a trade off in form vs function.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 07-13-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I like the la choppers twin peaks the wild ones have to much wrist angle to me.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I like my L A Choppers, but mine are only 10's, but would like another inch pull back, but i can deal with it,

Old 07-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Failz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burly Gorilla bars. Love em. Mine are 16's with LA Choppers extension kit.

Quick Reply: wild 1 chubby apes or LA Choppers