Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
1-How tall are you ? ? You more the likely need a taller windshield, try Long Rides Shields.
2-Your height sets the windshields height at about nose high so you can just look over it.
3-I would make the Dealer give you a H-D accessory 12 inch clear wind splitter shield for free.
4-2016 models are out soon, there may be a Road Glide Ultra in the lineup, & you can get a better price on a 2015 then.
Good question. I'm 5-11 & I actually run a 7.5" LRS recurve now on the SG when it's colder, 6.5" klock werks when it's mild temps & when it's steamy & 90 deg like today I run the shortest (3" I think) klock werks. I just get so much more buffeting with the SG with any of those shields than I did with even the useless stock shield of the RG, I was really wondering about how a taller shield on the RG would act. Just don't want to get the bike, throw a taller shield on, close the vents when it gets colder & end up with the same airflow problems I have now.

Also probably won't end up with lowers, & maybe I'm sealing my own fate by saying that.

All I know is what I got out of that short test ride, and it was damn impressive. If adding a taller screen doesn't negatively affect wind turbulence to a great degree, I think I'm pretty much gonna take the dive into the tank.

Just think I have to wait a bit longer....

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
... Guess I was really thinking more along the lines of wind on the body. ....
...... shouldn't be getting wind on the body.
.... tho...a heated vest is always nice when yer out there for more'n a couple hrs
............. & lowers make a huge difference

Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Shark noses cut the wind better and handle lighter due to the frame mounted fairing.

Bat Wing fairing offers much better protection for not only the rider, but even more for a passenger. The heavier steering is pretty much a non issue, as even the weakest riders can handle the turning. The extra hand protection is a plus, but can easily be overcome with heavier, water resistant gloves.

Not all that sure about the controversy, other than owners trying to defend their own purchase decisions. Both bikes are pretty terrific, and serve well for longer distance riding in comfort and with a full dash of instruments and music.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM
6bblbird
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't compare a SG shield and fairing to a RG but I can say that you have to tailor the windshield to your height. The oem truly is for looks only. I'm 6'5" and have had a 12" screen, a 14" screen and now have a H.D. 19"er that does a great job blocking the wind. It is about even with my mouth. I can see over it just fine but it vibrates a lot. My eyes seem to be drawn to the movement of the screen which is not good. Can anyone recommend a tall screen that will not shake so much?
WF

Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Shark noses cut the wind better and handle lighter due to the frame mounted fairing.

Bat Wing fairing offers much better protection for not only the rider, but even more for a passenger. The heavier steering is pretty much a non issue, as even the weakest riders can handle the turning. The extra hand protection is a plus, but can easily be overcome with heavier, water resistant gloves.

Not all that sure about the controversy, other than owners trying to defend their own purchase decisions. Both bikes are pretty terrific, and serve well for longer distance riding in comfort and with a full dash of instruments and music.
I felt the handling was more responsive albeit only slightly on the RG, I think it probably comes into play more in the slow speed handling stuff & windy conditions or semi drafts. I've never felt that the handling of my SG was bad, in fact it handles extremely well for a 800lb+ bike. I guess I'm just enamored with the look of the fairing, the lack of buffeting & would look forward to the handling improvement. I guess I may have misrepresented what I meant when earlier I said I felt more wind, it may have been a bit more but it was probably slight. It's just that it was much, much cleaner air, so, different more than anything. I am concerned though about this statement of less protection for the passenger, Guess I just have to get my woman to go on a test ride with me!

I have to say though that there seems to be conflicting assessments (at least to me) that the RG is touted as the best long distance tourer, yet the rider & passenger have less protection from the elements vs. a batwing bike? Just an observation...

Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 PM
flex58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RGU is great, not as much buffeting as I had on my EG. And, it floats over imperfections and can drive over water

Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having had an 01 RG, then a 08 EG, then a 12 SG, and now a 15 RG. If you get the right windshield for you, the RG will give you the best ride and smallest amount of turbulence. The stock RG windshield is worthless. I put on a 12" HD windsplitter, the turbulence was VERY bad. Installed the 15" HD windshield that comes on the RGU/CVO, turbulence was much less, but it was too tall. The top of the windshield was right where I look, and I had to either scrunch down a bit to see through it, or raise up a bit to see over it. Did a bunch of research, and decided on a 13" Freedom Shield. Perfect! Because of the little flip at the top, the air was directed up and over my head. It is a bit wider at the top corners than other windshields, and that works well. With the vents closed, I get some head turbulence at about 65-up. With all vents open, no turbulence, even up to 100. There is a bunch of wind, but its smooth air. The wife says the wind is pleasant when she is riding with me.

The two HD's that I had with the batwing just gave me way too much turbulence. No amount of wind management devices helped very much. The wind would come under the fairing, back to the tank, then straight up the sides of the tank. Ride along at 60 or better on a SG and feel the turbulence. Then put your hands beside the tank and feel it go away. You'll not get that with the RG.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDchrome
Having had an 01 RG, then a 08 EG, then a 12 SG, and now a 15 RG. If you get the right windshield for you, the RG will give you the best ride and smallest amount of turbulence. The stock RG windshield is worthless. I put on a 12" HD windsplitter, the turbulence was VERY bad. Installed the 15" HD windshield that comes on the RGU/CVO, turbulence was much less, but it was too tall. The top of the windshield was right where I look, and I had to either scrunch down a bit to see through it, or raise up a bit to see over it. Did a bunch of research, and decided on a 13" Freedom Shield. Perfect! Because of the little flip at the top, the air was directed up and over my head. It is a bit wider at the top corners than other windshields, and that works well. With the vents closed, I get some head turbulence at about 65-up. With all vents open, no turbulence, even up to 100. There is a bunch of wind, but its smooth air. The wife says the wind is pleasant when she is riding with me.

The two HD's that I had with the batwing just gave me way too much turbulence. No amount of wind management devices helped very much. The wind would come under the fairing, back to the tank, then straight up the sides of the tank. Ride along at 60 or better on a SG and feel the turbulence. Then put your hands beside the tank and feel it go away. You'll not get that with the RG.
Thanks chrome, that's good feedback. I assumed one of the first purchases if have to make is a windscreen, just like a SG, stock is for looks & I pretty much knew that. But nice to know about the lack of buffeting & that Mrs. Chrome doesn't complain about the amount of wind she gets. I guess the passenger probably doesn't get much anyway other than around their head because they already have a giant windscreen in front of them. I can deal with a little turbulence if the vents are closed at higher speeds if it's the trade off for no turbulence with vents open for the majority of my riding. I, like you, already experience eyeball rattling buffeting on my SG at highway speeds, so nothing new there.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lowers are really the only way to get a fully smooth ride. Any combination of other solutions will help a little, but not fully fix it. My 2013 RG Ultra with lowers and a 12" shield was such a smooth ride Still got a little wind to the head. But it was smooth and honestly refreshing. Let's be honest. If you don't want any wind then just cage it.

Now on my '15 RG I tried the crash bar deflectors and found they did nothing a all. When I rode with the stock thumbnail shield I found the best combination with the vents was top closed and sides open. Now that I have added a 12" Freedom Shields windshield I have found that the vents pretty much do nothing. And the recurve shields don't seem to work as they did on earlier models and the batwing bikes. I have watched bugs come straight over the shield and into my face or helmet. Previous models with recurve shields I would see them hit that upwards stream and go right over my head. I have no explanation why the recurve is pretty much moot with the new fairing.

Just my thoughts and observations.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Lowers are really the only way to get a fully smooth ride. Any combination of other solutions will help a little, but not fully fix it. My 2013 RG Ultra with lowers and a 12" shield was such a smooth ride Still got a little wind to the head. But it was smooth and honestly refreshing. Let's be honest. If you don't want any wind then just cage it.

Now on my '15 RG I tried the crash bar deflectors and found they did nothing a all. When I rode with the stock thumbnail shield I found the best combination with the vents was top closed and sides open. Now that I have added a 12" Freedom Shields windshield I have found that the vents pretty much do nothing. And the recurve shields don't seem to work as they did on earlier models and the batwing bikes. I have watched bugs come straight over the shield and into my face or helmet. Previous models with recurve shields I would see them hit that upwards stream and go right over my head. I have no explanation why the recurve is pretty much moot with the new fairing.

Just my thoughts and observations.
No I get it, it's not really about not having any wind, just more about how clean it can be with a RG at this point. Hell, my SG puts plenty of wind on me, it's just that it is turbulent, which I found was the opposite with the RG. Thanks for the observations on the larger shields though & that it pretty much renders the vents useless. One more item to consider I guess.

Quick Reply: Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....