Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report

I have been thinking about this, and planning this for what seems like a long time, and Friday the 17th of July I started this epic journey. My weapon of choice is a 2013 Limited,loaded with 2 GPS units, a Gen 3 spot tracker, and 2 nicely placed drink holders. My plan was to complete the entire ride in 9 days, just over 9000 miles. I also decided to put a Harley spin on the ride, lets collect as many poker chips as I can, but still getting my 1000 miles a day of riding in. Understanding that many of these shops would be closed I wrote a letter explaining my journey, and placing it in a stamped addressed stamp envelope along with a couple dollars with hopes they may send them to me.

Day 1: I slept in, no alarm, finished my packing, and loading all of the food that my wife made for me and I was off. I stopped at the Buc-ees in New Braunfels,Texas and got my official start time of 07:23. The start was simple, straight up 35 to Dallas, then 75 to Big Cabin Oklahoma, then up to Miami,Oklahoma. I then shot up to Baxster Springs Kansas and then over to Joplin, Mo. From there I headed South thru Arkansas and finished up the day in Shreveport, La. I had nearly forgot my poker chip mission, when i found my first store, right off the Interstate and I was surprised how easy it was to slide the letter thru the door. Day 1 was okay good miles but only collected 2 poker chips, Bleu Bayou and Old Fort Harley (still waiting on Old Fort Harley to arrive).

Day2: up at 6AM, and headed to Jackson,MS the ride turned ugly as I hit allot of traffic and lost valuable time, remember the quicker I get too my destination the more sleep I get. I found another chip in Mobile Alabama and set off for Century Florida. I then headed to Atlanta and my first rain storm of the trip,( Atlanta traffic doesn't slow down in the rain). On my way to South Carolina I hit another shop, and spent the night in South Carolina. Day 2 was wet, and boring but a big poker chip day..Jackson,Ms..Mobile Bay…Montgomery Harley…Big Swamp Harley and Faziers Harley (Still waiting on most of those to arrive as well).

Day3: The fun begins, heading into Jenkins Kentucky was a great ride, scored a fuel receipt and headed back just in time for the rain to start. I headed thru Virginia when I hit a major traffic jam, decided I needed a break and as luck would have it I see a Harley shop, Shenandoah Harley, and they were open, and they had the Vietnam VeteranWall memorial set up, what a treat for me. As I headed toward the start of the East Coast it rained most of the day, and caused big delays, I got into the NYC area and spent what seemed to be an eternity getting into Delaware, then up 95 thru New Jersey,thinking that hitting the GW Bridge at midnight on Sunday would be an easy crossing. I sat there for 2 hours, and it was hot,traffic sucked. I needed to make Rhode Island but I was exhausted and stopped in Connecticut for the night.

Day4: I had a decent start to the day,nice weather, and made decent time as I headed for Maine, it was a good ride and very pretty to look at and I remember thinking wow, I need to get to Washington. I then found my self going across Vermont on route 9W, great road but (California passing) was in effect. I stopped somewhere in Hillsborough, NH and had my first meal, as I had been eating on the breakfast tacos my wife made me for 3 days, eggs stay good for that long right? And when I say meal, what I mean is a sandwich and not sitting down, all of my food was consumed as i stood beside my bike in the parking lot. I made my way across NY, collected a chip from Brunswick Harley and headed into Ohio. As the sun went down it got cold, I am from Texas so under 60 is cold. I wasn't prepared for the cold so again I stopped a little short of my goal and spent the night in Ashtabula, Ohio. My parents are from there so I felt right at home.

Day5: Great start across Ohio, I was doing really good, then I entered Illinois. Again I was unprepared for all of those toll roads, stopping to pay a fee, takes allot of time. Traffic again was brutal, but I cleared Illinois and headed for Beloit, WI. Smooth sailing now as i have open roads in front of me. Sioux Falls Iowa was my next target, nice easy ride but again it was cold once the sun went down. Pretty uneventful day and collected a chip from Sturgis Michigan and Dubuque Harley in Iowa. These toll roads, they are not motorcycle friendly…no place to put your gloves and your change, can other States learn from Texas, take a picture of my license plate and mail me my fee, dang we can put a man on the moon but we can’t figure that out.

Day6: I went up to Dilworth, MN and then across North Dakota toward Wyoming. I stopped in North Dakota and had the oil changed and collected a few more chips. Again making good time I made it to Butte Montana, before I called it a night. Did I mention that it gets cold when the Sun goes down, wow I was not prepared to ride in this. I stopped for chips in Stutsman (oil Change) an Bear tooth Harley, also put my rain gear back on at the bear tooth location. More rain and cold nights, struggled to find a hotel and lost time looking, finally held up in Butte, MT.

Day7: Easy ride, and definitely in my zone, but areas of heavy winds make it interesting to say the least. I was doing great and making some good miles, collected some chips in Spokane and Rattlesnake Harley in Washington and another at the Zion Harley in Washington, UT. The Long stretches of road with minimal traffic. Things seemed to be going great and I was enjoying the sites, the Western States are very pretty with the red rock and all the Mountains, worth the trip to explore more when I can. Spent the night in Brigham City, UT.

Day 8: Cold morning but and early start, as I headed into Wyoming. It was an in and out deal and right back South thru Utah. As I headed to Nevada and the end this ride approached I was starting to feel accomplished as I knew I had this in the bag, then I thought I felt the rear end get a little squirrely on me, sure enough as I was getting gas in Las Vegas I noticed the rear tire was bald. No the tires were not new when I started and I have been keeping an eye on it, but I thought I would make it, nope. Off to Henderson Harley I go. I will just say, getting tires from Harley is a great experience, wow! This is not my first set, but I normally order the tires and take them to have them installed, this time I didn’t have a choice and the bike handled great and they washed it! I then headed off to Needles California and finally called it a night in Flagstaff Arizona, about 350 miles from the finish.

Day9: With 2 states and 350 miles to go I was ready, the bike was clean new tires, I felt like the Blues brothers. Made a quick stop in Winslow Arizona (standing on the Corner) then headed North to Farmington New Mexico. 50 miles to go! As I cruised into Durango, Colorado (the Finish) I found my gas stop and got my final receipt. Dated 7/25/2015 at 12:56…roughly 8 days 5 hours and 33 minutes from the start, and 8193 miles from my starting point. I felt great and wanted to celebrate, and eat, so Off I went. I found a Harley shop and had to have a chip for my finish, so in I went. Collected my chip and shared my story with a few folks. Now to head home as my wife was leaving early Sunday. I have approximately 1100 miles to get home, but I need to ride the Million Dollar Highway. Great ride..if you haven’t ridden it, you need too. I’ve ridden the Dragon, 3 twisted Sisters, and now this what a way to finish. I stopped at 2 more shops on the way home and pounded out the 1100 miles, I did take a 2 hour power nap on a picnic table just outside of San Angelo Texas. I fueled just down the street at 08:19am on the 26th of July with the GPS reading 9125 miles ridden.

Many folks have asked why I would do this, slow down enjoy what you see. Yes I agree I want to do this again, but this was a challenge, can I route and plan this, can I ride my plan? Simple answer is yes and I feel accomplished. I hope this will be enough of an accomplishment to gain entrance in the 2017 Iron Butt Rally, only a few Harleys ever compete and this year I know at least one broke, well I want to compete on my Harley. If you are interested in seeing the spot tracker, you can go to findmespot.com and go to the adventures tab, search for 48 State iron Butt Ride by DK.

Attached Thumbnails DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report-the-wall.jpg   DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report-departing.jpg   DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report-montgomery-alabama.jpg   DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report-henderson-nevada.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

.... ...way2go buddy !

Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 AM
bseberle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo... well done

Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report

Nice job

As far as tolls .... The North has it figured out too... It's called an EZ Pass. I can't remember the last time I dealt with $ at a toll booth.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM
OldKarznBikes
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I would love to attempt this, always been on my bucket list!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Great job!!!

I am planning to do something similar when I run the US Four Corners Tour and combine the 10-10ths Iron Butt with it (Ten consectutive Saddlesore rides; 10,000 miles in 10 days).

http://sc-ma.com/rides/usa-four-corners-tour-site

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

Seeing you started in New Braunfels, I am guessing you aren't far from me (I am in Buda).

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Impressive. Seems I remember some near you doing this a couple years ago on a SG.

Beary

Old 07-28-2015, 11:45 AM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in San Antonio, so yes we are neighbors...looks like you have a big ride planned.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Awesome story and ride. While on the Million Dollar Hwy did you stop at Silverton Harley, the world's highest Harley store? We did 1100 miles in 17 hours a couple months ago to get my wife her Iron Butt, but doing it 8 or 9 days in a row would be a real test!

Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't notice in there, did you get your oil changed along the way, when on long trips I've routinely stretched out some 7000 mile oil changes on my 09 with 102k +.

Quick Reply: DK's 48 State Iron Butt ride report