Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
ECK Road King Classic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Road King Classic

Question for yall. I have an '09 Road King Classic with stock handlebars. O would like to replace the bars but not mess with the cables. I only need a little bit of extra reach, an inch or two. I was thinking about the reduced reach bars from harley or the heritage bars. Is this do-able, can I squeeze a little bit out of the cables, or must the cables be switched for longer? I can do the bars myself easily, but dont really want to drop a grand if I take it to the dealer for the cables.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

You might want to check out the bars from Wild One Chubbys. They do a good job fitting things up for your bike. Lots of guys get their bars. Personally, I don't like the look of the Heritage bars on a touring bike. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
RollTideRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I put the road king high bar on mine. I love it, and best part no changing wires or cables.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by ECK Road King Classic
Question for yall. I have an '09 Road King Classic with stock handlebars. O would like to replace the bars but not mess with the cables. I only need a little bit of extra reach, an inch or two. I was thinking about the reduced reach bars from harley or the heritage bars. Is this do-able, can I squeeze a little bit out of the cables, or must the cables be switched for longer? I can do the bars myself easily, but dont really want to drop a grand if I take it to the dealer for the cables.
To me, its worth the money to have bars that fit, and cables that dont look stretched to the max, but thats me. I hope the "no cable change" strategy doesnt result in less comfort that you might otherwise enjoy.

If you look around, there may be forum members near you that can help.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Baddad1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '09 Road King Classic

I put heritage style bars on my '09 RKC , no need to change cables , wires or brake line . Had plenty of room , and made a hell of a difference.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Heritage bars, not Heritage-style but the actual ones off a Heritage on mine, and they work awesome without having to change out the cables with a MUCH more comfortable position that is about an inch or two higher. You might want to try to rotate them a little bit forward that might help before you buy new bars, that worked for a buddy.

Note if you do like me and get actual Heritage bars to save some cash you will need to cut a hole in the bottom of the bars, take 1/2" off the throttle side and notch it for the throttle-by-wire. Used a pipe cutter to take the bit off and a shop did rest for me for $20, saved me about $100 on the whole thing versus the Heritage-style bars.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM
ECK Road King Classic
Novice

Thanks. I'm looking at what Baddad1 did. That was the answer I was hoping for. I did try rotating them all the way towards me, to the point of any closer and they would have hit the gas cap. I only need just a little bit of extra. I am convinced that the bike was built for six footers. If I was going to have to spend a grand on it, then I would have just considered getting a 2014 or 2015. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 AM
scoooter9
Advanced

I used the original bars on my 2011 king. Installed 4" risers with 1 1/2 " pullback.
no cable changes, bars are comfortable in that zone.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 09 RKC and used 2015 RK bars with all the original cables and it made a huge difference in comfort.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM
EW1959
Tourer

I bought a pair of Heritage style bars $68 Local shop charged $100 to install. That being said I am pleased.

Quick Reply: '09 Road King Classic