Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still chasing an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Still chasing an oil leak

Leaking a fair amount of oil only after long rides. I have been trying to locate the leak by cleaning everything up, running it on the road for 10 miles or so, parking it, and looking. Can't find anything. But the when I go for a substantial ride, I stop and its dripping like crazy.

Most of the oil collects on the oil pan, but it does make its way back to the belt guard and the belt.

I can see some on the inside of the primary up front so it may be coming from the stator plug, I just sealed it up with high temp silicone, and test rode it, but who know when it will decide to leak again.

I put all new o rings on, checked the plugs for tightness, checked the oil filter, checked the exhaust clamp, and took a torque wrench to all the bolts on the underside. All of my oil pan bolts were loose, so I tightened them to spec, and still have the leak. Since there is oil more forward than the oil pan, it makes me think it's not coming from there.

What else can I look at to track this down.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 PM
03 Fatboy
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the bolts on the transmission side cover(right side0, the bottom two whick hold the bracket for the exhaust are known to come loose.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Keeping in mind I'm no mechanic....but I too found all my oil pan bolts loose as a goose.
After I tightened them my mess after long runs was gone.

If mine comes back I'd probably go back and retorque them all one more time to the high side of spec. Actually I'd go a little above spec. After that I'd put replacing the oil pan gasket on my radar.

I do remember adding blue lock tight last time. I removed each bolt and blue lock tighted them and retorqued to the high side of spec from the book. Mine have not loosened but I'm sure at some point they will. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 Fatboy
Check the bolts on the transmission side cover(right side0, the bottom two whick hold the bracket for the exhaust are known to come loose.
True this from Fatboy.
The two lower bolts on the chrome trans cover that also have the side exhaust bracket attached to it.

But if I recall correctly this particular annoying leak would static leak and not really blow all over the underside of the oil pan. But..........never say never.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 03 Fatboy
Thanks for the advice.

There is absolutely no oil anywhere near these bolts, but I did check them, and they are good.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,305 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Have you checked your filter? Does it have an oil cooler?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
Have you checked your filter? Does it have an oil cooler?
Yes I checked it

Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Here's an idea. Clean all affected areas of oil. Put some ultraviolet oil dye in the engine oil, it won't affect the oil, go for good ride , then using a black light you should see the source of your leak. Did that many times working at a car dealership chasing down leaks.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM
hdultra2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u may need to check again the stator plug. mine was leaking just a little. i couldn't find the leak . i end up washing the bike and used the gung oil degrease and went for about 20 miles just to make sure it will leak and put paper towl under just to see where it came from, it was small , then i put seal but still leaking after long ride , end up getting a new stator. also check the bolt on primary .

Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Ok so I rode it again today, but short enough that it didn't blow all over, and long enough for it to leak enough to find the source.

Not sure what to think of this, I'm not sure if this is cracked for just the way it is put together. Im guessing the cases will have to be split and re sealed. Looks as if there is a white sealer that bonds the cases together.

Here's a pic, let me know what you think:

Quick Reply: Still chasing an oil leak