Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notching the frame to drop the seat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 PM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Notching the frame to drop the seat.

Has anybody on here done this yet? I talked to a guy at the Hollister Rally who did this to his touring and droped it close to 2 inches. Can anyone speak to the pro's and con's of this mod? I'm thinking Cost, Cost, and Cost. I am not short, I'm 6 feet tall but I want to sit in the bike not on the bike.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I personally wouldn't want to do that. I would be worried that cutting the frame in that area would affect the frames strength.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cut frame to lower seat height

If you have access to a skilled and experienced engineer, have absolute faith in a welder, a frame jig and a really good mechanic, I might think about it .... nope, I'm just not brave enough.
Perhaps another solution.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:17 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

This can not be a serious question.

FBI makes a drop seat kit that replaces parts of the frame.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

I've heard (not actually seen) that the newer bikes have that section of the frame as a bolt in piece, with some aftermarket folk making a dropped replacement section. I'd imagine you'd need a matching dropped seat to fit, but maybe not. So on a newer bike, I can't really see the worth of cutting and welding when bolt in is already available.

On an older bike, you could cut the frame and drop the seating section. At least theoretically. Lots of problems with other things being in the way. The battery, etc. You'd have to make a custom seat to fit and take advantage of the height reduction. How badly it would impact frame rigidity would be a function of how well the cut down insert was designed and made.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Ultra classic Low seat will fit your bike, you might try that. I just installed one on my 2010 Ultra Classic. Dropped me down close to two inches.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
This can not be a serious question.

FBI makes a drop seat kit that replaces parts of the frame.
This is your answer, FBI makes a bolt on kit. You unbolt the rear section of your frame (2009 and newer the frames are modular) bolt on their's. The offer fenders, seats and side panels to fit. Gives you the 2" drop and it is pre-engineered:

https://fatbaggers.com/motorcycle-parts/drop-seat-kit

Why re-invent the wheel? And I don't work for them, it is just the answer to your question.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it sounds like a good idea if you want a bike that no one in their right mind will want to buy when it comes time to sell it.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by eathomps
I think it sounds like a good idea if you want a bike that no one in their right mind will want to buy when it comes time to sell it.
really, who wants a fabricated custom bike when there are so many cool catalog customs out there?

if the OP has an 09 or newer there are two companies that make drop seat frame modules - for an earlier bike it'd be a custom job but not any more complicated than the work involved in hard-tailing an old shovelhead...

Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm 6' so I didn't need it, but like u wanted it lower (without losing suspension travel). I love my FBI Drop Seat. Not for everyone, but I picked mine up piece by piece on eBay and other bikers. There's a lot squeezed into those small spaces so I'd really think hard about doing it yourself. Gonna get a solo seat soon. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Notching the frame to drop the seat.