Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right passenger peg heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 PM
rgsbobby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right passenger peg heat

15 RGS. Took my wife on one day ride and she wanted floorboards so I installed the swept wing ones. Damn they get HOT! I can hold the left one but can barely touch the right one without burning my hand after riding. I know it's heat radiating from the catalytic converter but I didn't realize how much heat there was. I can't believe the wiring down there isn't melted.
Anyways, we're going on a trip Labor Day weekend and I'm worried about her foot being on fire. Anyone know of a solution other than changing head pipes? I'd like to change head pipes eventually but wasn't planning on it this soon.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:35 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Time to get the checkbook out if you've got enough time!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:12 AM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thank you could do for our bike is get a fuel tune and air cleaner and a exhaust system we offer traditional stepped header and cross under are backage $1089.00 for the pc-5 big sucker and exhaust

Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Don't NHRA and Spring Car drivers have those "hot booties" that keep their feet cool during a race...?

JK, seriously get in there and tune the bike...she's runn'n lean (e.g. hot) & check your floorboard install to ensure it's mounted correctly.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Get rid of the cat and tune it. Huge difference.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

FYI with cat or without, it's an exhaust pipe. It's going to get hot.

As far as the cat/no cat thing - The hottest combination I had was a Supertrapp 2/1 - no cat. I guess that makes sense seeing as all that heat is going down one pipe. My 14 SGS with stock head pipe and Supertrapp Stout slip ons is way cooler. I added a tuner but to be honest, can't tell the difference in heat output.

That said, one thing you can do to help is to space the pegs/boards away from the bike. Barons makes peg re-locators that push the pegs out away from the heat. We have them on our bike and Cheryl's foot is cooler. Much improved over the old bike which literally melted her sole.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most catalytic converters operate between 500 and 800 degrees F, and can go as high as 1,200 under load. That is a lot of heat sitting right next your foot. Enrichning the feul ration will make the bike run cooler, but not necessarily the cat. I removed the cat on mine and it made a tremendous difference in the heat by your riight feet, rider and passenger. Later I put on a Cobra FJI2000 and it makes the bike run cooler too, but the cat is the source of the heat by your right foot.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,412 Likes on 881 Posts

don't richen the mixture with a cat - it'll only make the cat work harder and get hotter...

even without one the passenger right side footboard will get warm. I haven't seen a heat deflector made for that yet.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:14 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

My trike is decatted, and tuned, & My wife's right foot still gets hot. During our recent visit to Yosemite it was freakin' hot there. Although we always wear boots when riding, we wore running shoes in Yosemite park because we did a lot of walking around. She did a lot of complaining about how hot right foot got when we were in stop and go traffic with ambient temps in the low 100s. I didn't realize how hot it was until we got back to our room. Her toe nail polish on her right foot had softened enough from the heat that her sock stuck to her toe nails!!

Im going to look for some elevated foot pegs for her.

On another note...we recently rented a 2014 Trike in Orlando. Without the highway pegs to get my right foot away from the pipes, I though my foot was going to spontaneously combust! Yep, the wet head helped my arss...but my gawd my foot...particularly my heel...got freakin hot!! Haven't had that with my decatted tuned trike.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Had the same problem here. G/F's right foot and ankle got bright red on warm days.

Installed decatted ebay pipe and installed Vied fuel enrichener ($60, these forums) and

bike runs not only much cooler, but also much stronger. Side benefit is that the stock mufflers sound lots better, deeper and just enough louder that it covers up the annoying engine valve train sounds while still being quiet enough for long cruises.

Quick Reply: Right passenger peg heat