Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:45 AM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. So the last time I spoke with tech services they told me what I was seeing was aluminum dust created by the trans case and engine case rubbing together. They said this commonly gets confused with an oil leak. They had a fancy term for it but I can't recall what it is at this time. So I rode it around about another 800 miles and let it leak without any cleaning took more pics (see below) and sent them in. They responded and want my dealer to ad dye to the oil so we can track the leak. I'm going in next week. I'll keep you posted.

The first pic is after about 400 miles and the second and third are at about 800 miles

Attached Thumbnails Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!-photo754.jpg   Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!-photo912.jpg   Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!-photo463.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 12:19 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a known issue of the cases not being machined correctly from hd which will cause the type of leak you have. the two sides of the case are not machined even where the cylinders slide into.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:32 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sporacer
There is a known issue of the cases not being machined correctly from hd which will cause the type of leak you have. the two sides of the case are not machined even where the cylinders slide into.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it's nothing that severe. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

that needs to be fixed under warrenty. quality control is the problem here. they are just slapping these things together without any care.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:13 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This seems like it could be pretty straightforward to me. You reported a 'leak' at some mileage. The dealer evaluated and based on their report, the MoCo replied it's 'normal seepage'.

Regardless of the number of miles when it was reported by you, HD makes 100's of thousands of bikes a year. No doubt they try to limit the 'warranty' claims to those items that are clearly a problem so as to 'save' money. As expressed by many in this post...it looks just like an o-ring 'seep' many of us have seen and which have gone away early in the life of our motors, i.e., assembly lube related. What has the MoCo, or you, got to lose if they tell you to ride it, it will 'go away'?

So you rode it and it hasn't gone away. The MoCo was wrong so report it again. No skin off your nose, really.

You have the initial report at 9k miles. You have additional miles on it now. Clearly, based on the particulars of the problem--it's persisted, and there are substantial miles on the bike--it's not assembly lube related. My bet is when you re-submit the issue the MoCo will reevaluate the facts, under their warranty terms, and you will get it fixed. If not, THEN you have a beef.

The concern, if there is one, is you reported this at 9K miles the first time. Outside the range of the problem described. Still. Report it again. They'll fix it, based on what you've said in this thread.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 11-29-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I just had this done under a ESP ($50 per visit) .......... They replaced all parts for the cylinder replacement including said o-rings! Price including cylinder, all incidentals and labor was a tad under $600

Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

There is no way I would let the dealer take my engine apart to repair a seep that small. You'll have more problems than ever .

Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

FWIW, mine leaked at the front jug's o ring. Dealer repl'd and promptly leaked again. This with about 20K on it.

2nd time they repl'd my cases and that solved the issue. No hassle with warranty, and I'd installed cams myself some time back.

I play nice and try to spend time with the wrenches. They're the ones that are going to know how to go about getting something covered if it's a gray area.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:56 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a 'weep' start to show up at my 1000 mile - this was on the right side of the Transmission case where the plate bolts up... cleaned it off and started taking pictures.. at about the 1500 mark, I had taken several pictures - I am well aware of HD and Weeping - While at Jamestown HD - we talked about it, showed the pictures and the service dept ask me to clean it one more time and if it came back - he would put in a new gasket... well it came back... Stopped by Mitchells HD - same owner - talked to the Service manager - he took one look and offered to change it out right then and there...

Now - for the 'rest of the story' Got a call from the manager - he said - for what ever reason - when the trans was built a gasket was NEVER installed,,,

after I got over WTF!!! I was actually impressed the two surfaces mated so well that it only weeped.... this was a large job and was all covered under warranty.. at the dealer started just because of the weep and thinking it was just the gasket..

Just sharing because not all dealer are butt heads AND who know what you might find under that head..

Old 11-30-2015, 11:19 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser

The dye is in. Let the leaking begin

Quick Reply: Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!