Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Russell Day Long and Corbin Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,669 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default Russell Day Long and Corbin Saddles

Anyone out there have a Russell Day Long or Corbin saddle on your touring Ultra ? If so, could you post some pictures and feedback on how you like your seats ? I have an 012 Ultra and the seat mods I had done are not cutting it for all day two rides. Tried a ultimate seat. not very roomy for two up. I 248lbs and ride with my wife a lot. Not much room or comfort need some advise. Thank you

Old 10-03-2015, 03:43 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm the same weight as you. I tried a Corbin several years ago and was just to hard and didn't conform to my butt. I've tried Mustang and it was just flat and my hip bones would hurt after several hours. I eventually had Russell Day Long build me a seat and love it. I'm completely sold on them. They literally pocket your butt and is well worth the money. I didn't get their backrest, but asked to keep the slot in the oem seat for my backrest which is the mustang backrest.
Their seats are firm, but as you can see they don't put pressure on any one spot like most seats. The whole process is kinda slow, I think it took about a month once I sent it to them to get it back.

Russell Day Long and Corbin Saddles-img_0638.jpg

Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

To me, the Corbin's seat contour seems to fit my butt better than any seat I have used.
They are hard in stock form, something I couldn't deal with.
I actually bought a used Corbin just to try one out, and it was hard as a rock.
I called the FL Corbin office, and had them make me one using softer foam.
They won't offer this if you call, you MUST ask for it.
I got a heated close solo for my road king, and it's the most comfortable seat ever.
Comfortable right out of the box, no break-in required!
I originally called the Ca office, and they were horrible to deal with. After 1/2 hour of arguing with the rep, they were saying they would only use the hard foam, I gave up.
After reading some comments online, decided to give the FL office a try, and what a world of difference! I got the manager right at closing time, and he spent an hour with me making sure i got exactly what I wanted, a total custom seat.
Went with leather everywhere, heated, slightly lowered with a raised back.
Fill in for the gap between the fender, notches for crashbars, custom stitching on the seat and the tailpiece, plus a few other changes.
The FL office was a lifesaver!

I tried a Mustang too, but it was flat as a board, and too wide. My left leg was actually going to sleep on me.
The edge of the seat caught me at a bad spot under my leg, cutting off the circulation.
The first ride, I had to pull over and walk it off several time. The seat went on Ebay the next day!
It seems pretty well cushioned at first, but soon the foam would bottom out, and it was like sitting on a board.

Last edited by Ragtop; 10-03-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Anyone out there have a Russell Day Long or Corbin saddle on your touring Ultra ? If so, could you post some pictures and feedback on how you like your seats ? I have an 012 Ultra and the seat mods I had done are not cutting it for all day two rides. Tried a ultimate seat. not very roomy for two up. I 248lbs and ride with my wife a lot. Not much room or comfort need some advise. Thank you
=================

Hey Murf,i live approx 15 mins from you in PoK NY!

I hear ya on the ultimate seat for hd,i tried the ultimate seat on my 09 flhtcu and it wasnt that good.

Had an ultimate on a prior bike that was great,could ride all without having the feeling i had to get off any time soon ,go figure.

Have ridden on other bikes with std prod /not custom Corbin seats that all seemed as hard as rocks to me.

I am currently running a Mustang Regal Touring seat which is a lot better then stock seat and is a significant improvement / step up over the over the ultimate seat too.

But even the Mustang Regal Touring isnt quite what i think it should and i cant go all day on it either,1.75-2 hrs or so & i have to get off the Mustang seat for a decent break. (I am 5'-9.5" @ 180lbs)

Suggestion,go to Woodstock hd because they let you try their seats out for the afternoon for free which i recently did and found the Hammock seat to be very good .

The special internal floating design of that seat really absorbs bumps well reducing shock to your back and seat felt good overall & am considering buying it in the spring.

Give it a try because you have nothing to loose and if that seat felt good to you it could save you bucks vs getting the custom mfg'd All Day Long seat.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-03-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I am 65 - got my first HD in 96 ( Iam also 5'6") I bought a Corbin Close for the Fatboy -nice seat - in 2000 I got a WG - Learned that Corbin had a 'Ride in appointment' I live about 80 miles from the CA Corbin factory - Arrive at 0800 and met my seat builder and he worked with us all day - by the end of the day - both the wife and I said "Its perfect' We left that day with a CUSTOM saddle made to OUR bottoms. I sold that bike in 04 and got a Electra Glide - Did the very same - The wife and I logged 80K on that bike - made 4 coast to coast rides with the longest being 8K in 26 days - IF a Corbin is made to YOUR butt - It will allow you to ride Hours a day after day - If it does NOT fit you - it will not be as comfortable.

I now have sold that 04 and have a 15 - going next month to have my next Corbin made - Last weekend the wife and I rode 300 miles thru Yosemite to Bishop, CA 600 miles round trip - Wife said - I miss my Corbin

Corbin Saddles are NOT soft - never meant to be - they are firm and if they fit you right - you will have more comfort than a SOFT saddle

Corbins are a LOVE it or HATE it type of seat

I have read many horror stories about Corbin and mail order - I just do not get it.. During the Ride in appointment - the CS is 100% GREAT

I have the Corbin off my 2004 (looks great) I need that seat until I get the new one made - will offer it up to a short rider that would like to try one out - It will be over on the parts for sale area at a price that will be hard to pass - problem is - really need to be in the northern / Central CA area - shipping would be a Killer + I want the new owner to try it first to see if it will help them

Last edited by harley0711; 10-03-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

This is a subject that is very difficult to find a one size fits all.. I had a Mustang seat on my Fat boy and loved it. When I bought the Road Glide I instantly had the same thought, but it did not work for me. I tried C&C as well and as much as I loved that seat my *** did not after a couple hours. I picked up a lightly used Corbin and my *** has never been happier. I have done consecutive 800 to 1000 mile days without any butt discomfort. I am sold on Corbin at least on my Road Glide.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Seats

Guys, Thanks for the inputs and pictures..Much appreciated !

Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my Corbin.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

Murph,
Have you thought about upgrading the suspension on the bike?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:59 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member

DaJogejr, Good afternoon, to answer you question I purchased a pair of JRI-B shocks from Howard and they have been a major improvement in the rear suspension of the bike. I also have a full race tech kit with their springs and gold valves in the the front end, with full syn oil in the forks. Major improvements in suspension, but the seat is lacking. I had the original seat reworked with memory foam by John at Wing Soft Seats, it made a difference and then I bought a Ultimate seat which is also ok. Over the years I have had Corbin Gentry,Mustang,Russell Day Long and a Tom Simmons seats. The Russell and Simmons seat were custom tailored to your body size and weight both were excellent seats and expensive. I'm leaning to either or a new Corbin. I know the Corbin is hard but when you ride distance you really need the support especially when you are over the 240 mark in body weight. Thanks again to all for your inputs and comments very appreciated.

Quick Reply: Russell Day Long and Corbin Saddles