Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieter exhaust than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Quieter exhaust than stock?

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that sell touring exhaust that is quieter than stock?

I ride a lot and don't care to announce when I'm arriving, leaving or just tooting along.

I have my own reasons and am looking for some stealthy pipes.

Thanks ....

Old 10-05-2015, 08:16 AM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yamaha Venture slip-ons may be a little quieter. The only difference is the rear mounting bracket is different. I think they're used be someone on Venturerider.org that had made some brackets that was selling them. I remember a while back they were posting the HD mufflers were a little bit louder on the Venture. They're designed for a 98 hp V4 so they shouldn't be more restrictive.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oddly enough... I just bought a set of CVO mufflers off an 09. These are the baffles without cats, that do a 180 overlap then another 180 turn to exit.

They are actually quieter than the stock mufflers I had
(stock from a 2014 SG which I added since mine came with gutted pipes originally).

Only slightly quieter at idle, but I used to be able to get a little bark when I rolled on. Now the CVO don't really do anything when I roll on it. I want quiet but not silent.
Planning on going the Fullsac route for baffles.

Might be worth a look on ebay.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,412 Likes on 881 Posts

Touring mufflers from 2008 and earlier will be quieter than 2010 and later. Avoid most 2009s they had cats in mufflers (not all as noted above).

Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

On my 2004 88 incher I have run takeoffs from a 2013 and thought they were quiet until I tried some Supertrapp/SE Fatshots with closed end caps. These are pretty darn quiet

Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Does anyone know of any manufacturers that sell touring exhaust that is quieter than stock?

I ride a lot and don't care to announce when I'm arriving, leaving or just tooting along.

I have my own reasons and am looking for some stealthy pipes.

Thanks ....
Try the thunder city baffles, while still using the stock pipes. They quieted down both my bikes quite nicely. I can slide through town almost unnoticed-- just the way I like it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
for when you have that need for "stealth"
Pretty cool idea.
I have not seen those at all.
Myron

Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have run Fatshotz on two different engine combos. The first set was on a built motor and I tried both open & closed end caps. After putting on closed caps the once powerful motor couldn't make it up a small gradual hill without a push, (needed a re-tune bad), but boy was that quiet. I have open-ended Fatshotz on my stock 103 with cat and I seriously think it is the best sound I've ever heard on any Harley as I travel quite a bit, (don't subscribe to the rah rah rah look at me coming down the road theory).

Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Touring mufflers from 2008 and earlier will be quieter than 2010 and later. Avoid most 2009s they had cats in mufflers (not all as noted above).
What 2009s had cats in the mufflers? Some of the 2008 and earlier ( California and HDI ) had cats in the mufflers, not the 2009.
But, as Joe12RK said, 2010 mufflers ( even the 2009 CVO mufflers ) were made to give that Harley sound with a cat in the headpipe, so they will be louder then the earlier versions.

That is why most of the new Harley touring mufflers say they are for 2010 and later.
Also why, if you have say, a 2012 touring bike, and want to put on Supertrapp SE mufflers but have gutted your headpipe you should buy the 2009 mufflers or you won't get the sound levels the mufflers were designed for; the versions for the newer bikes will be louder then intended ( but that may be what some want ).

Quick Reply: Quieter exhaust than stock?