Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO muffler question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM
rjm-1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVO muffler question?

I have a 2007 Road King that had Rush mufflers and I loved the sound but unfortunately I could not get rid of the aggravating decel popping. Even after a dyno tune and finding absolutely no exhaust leaks, I reinstalled my stock mufflers. Now, no more decel popping, but now too quite.

Has anyone tried a 2010 and up CVO mufflers on a 2007 touring? My understanding is that Harley opened up these mufflers to compensate for the CATS installed in the header pipes. Wondering how much louder a 2010 CVO muffler would be compared to the standard Road King muffler?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,617 Likes on 5,177 Posts

It seemed to me the 2011 stock pipes had a little more tone to them than other stock ones.
Without a doubt the stock ones on my 2016 do. Nice thing is Most dealers have stock ones laying around you can get them cheap or free if you on good terms.
When I traded in my 2013 I left the pipes on it. ask dealer if they wanted the stock ones, he laughed , no I have a pipe of them.
Pipes on the CVO are standard Screaming Eagle pipes.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM
rjm-1
Advanced

Was 2010 the first year of the catted head pipe? Good idea about checking with the dealers on left over mufflers.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

the cvo mufflers are a great option. especially if you remove the baffles and replace them with the fullsac cvo recores.

you end up with a great looking, great sounding, inexpensive, well performing set of mufflers.

i went this route on the wife's bike. she wasn't sure what she wanted, so to get something for the 'short term' we put a set on her bike. that was over 2 years ago, and she isn't looking.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Even though you re-installed the OEM mufflers the decel popping is still there, you just can no longer hear it. The standard CVO mufflers will be just marginally louder than the stockers because of the EPA guidlines.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I put a set of SE mufflers that are EPA compliant for 10-later (cat in head pipe) on an 08 with no cat. Side by side with a bike with cat is noticeable difference. I've gotten lots of complements and neighbors haven't complained.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

correct me if I am wrong but... the guy doing the tune... doesn't have to adjust every frame in the AFR window to get the outright maximum possible curve. he can adj the AFR so that decel popping is minimized or eliminated altogether.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 AM
rjm-1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
correct me if I am wrong but... the guy doing the tune... doesn't have to adjust every frame in the AFR window to get the outright maximum possible curve. he can adj the AFR so that decel popping is minimized or eliminated altogether.
My tuner said he did everything he could to eliminate the decel popping including leaning and enriching AFR. He said it has to be my Rush mufflers. I have my doubts but I'm into his "tune" to over $650 considering the original dyno tune and follow up session. I'd like to get a set of mufflers similar sound to the Rush .175 baffled I have, but don't want to keep throwing money at it if I'm back to decel popping! BTW, he could not find any exhaust leaks and I tried using smoke, air pressure back thru the exhaust, new clamps, copper RTV joint sealant and even soap bubbles. Nothing.

So that's why I'm thinking a set of 2010 and later CVO's might give me a little louder pipe with no decel popping for little money.

Appreciate the comments!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm-1
My tuner said he did everything he could to eliminate the decel popping including leaning and enriching AFR. He said it has to be my Rush mufflers. I have my doubts but I'm into his "tune" to over $650 considering the original dyno tune and follow up session. I'd like to get a set of mufflers similar sound to the Rush .175 baffled I have, but don't want to keep throwing money at it if I'm back to decel popping! BTW, he could not find any exhaust leaks and I tried using smoke, air pressure back thru the exhaust, new clamps, copper RTV joint sealant and even soap bubbles. Nothing.

So that's why I'm thinking a set of 2010 and later CVO's might give me a little louder pipe with no decel popping for little money.

Appreciate the comments!
Sorry but I don't agree with your tuner. I've worked on my own SESPT Tuning Maps with the help of HDF member k5rbd... I've had True Duals and OEM De-catted head pipes running 4" Big Louies, V&H Monster Ovals and now I'm running a set of de-cored CVO's with 2" Rush Big Louie baffles installed and I have never had decel popping,,, yes I get a low grumble around 1900 rpm for 2 seconds if I down shift a couple of gears and let the engine brake the speed, but if I just let the bike slow down in 5th, 4th or 3rd gear,,, I have nothing in decel...

Attached Thumbnails CVO muffler question?-cvo-mufflers.jpg  

Last edited by Sam D.; 10-10-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:04 AM
rjm-1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Sorry but I don't agree with your tuner. I've worked on my own SESPT Tuning Maps with the help of HDF member k5rbd... I've had True Duals and OEM De-catted head pipes running 4" Big Louies, V&H Monster Ovals and now I'm running a set of de-cored CVO's with 2" Rush Big Louie baffles installed and I have never had decel popping,,, yes I get a low grumble around 1900 rpm for 2 seconds if I down shift a couple of gears and let the engine brake the speed, but if I just let the bike slow down in 5th, 4th or 3rd gear,,, I have nothing in decel...
You may be right about my tuner. But my other option is to start over with another tuner for another $550 dyno tune and hope the new guy can resolve the decel popping. The thing that really irks me is that the bike ran better and had especially great throttle response when I had the basic FuelPak on it! Now it's very soft off the bottom almost needing to feather the clutch to get going at stop lights! Almost time to put the bike up for the winter anyway.

Maybe next spring the thought of wasting all this money will have worn off and I can start with someone new. Not easy to find someone that has experience wth dyno tunes up in my area.

Quick Reply: CVO muffler question?