Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stree Glide shuts off while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stree Glide shuts off while accelerating

I had an issue about 2 months ago, my '14 SGS shut off when I went to pass a car at 50 mph and I couldn't get it to even turn over to try and start back up. Got it trucked to the dealer, of course it fired right up like nothing ever happened. They put 100 miles on it on their dyno, took it around the block, no issues, so they said it was "fixed." All that they found were these historic codes:

P1511 - EFI Power Management Module
P1514 - Air Flow Fault
P2105 - EFI Forced Engine Shutdown
P2135 - TPS Voltage Correlation Error
P1353 - Front Cylinder No Combustion
P0374 - CKP Sensor Not Detected

Today, same thing happened. 40 mph zone in 4th gear, hit the 55 mph zone and rolled into wide open throttle, and within 2 seconds of holding WOT, it shut down. It started right away, but wouldn't idle at all and to keep it running, WOT got me about 1600 rpms. Then after cycling the key 3 times, fired right up like nothing ever happened. Then I was able to force it to shut down 2 more times on the way to the dealer by rolling into WOT and holding it.

This time during troubleshooting, I was looking at the dealers computer screen. I had mainly the same codes as last time, but no crank position sensor code and I don't recall seeing the front cylinder no combustion code, either. But the forced shutdown, throttle correlation error and air flow sensor codes were all "historic." (Bike fired right up at the dealer again) I had them look at throttle position on the laptop when running it through the range both shut off and running and it seemed smooth and normal.

They're going to replace the pins on the throttle body harness plug tomorrow, apparently there is a service bulletin for that. Maybe that'll fix it, maybe not. Either way, the riding season is about over, so I'll be taking it apart this winter to inspect the handlebar wiring. I have 16" LA Choppers apes on it and installed the CVO throttle by wire assembly when I did the wiring, maybe it's starting to cut or rub under the fairing or at the upper bar end. I also replaced the factory TBW connector with a deutsch connector when I did the CVO tbw to eliminate moisture issues.

I guess we'll see when I plug my power vision into it to do my own troubleshooting when I get it back. My tuner said he's found moisture and evidence of past moisture in the throttle body electrical internals behind the plastic cover conveniently marked "warranty void if removed" and has fixed these issues by replacing the whole throttle body. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. We'll have to see what I can find when the dealer is done not fixing it this time.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 PM
MYFLTRX
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2010 Road Glide with apes and my bike was shutting down and going into limp mode. Awesome feeling running 80mph + on the highway in traffic. I was throwing the P1511 code as well. I had the same thought as you, one of the wires must be rubbing. Switched my throttle out to the CVO style. Started the bike, ran great....until it went into limp mode!!! After posting on numerous forums I was told to check the plug going into the throttle body. Yup, bottom two pins were very corroded. Cleaned them off with some electrical spray and I've been limp mode free for about two years. I'll admit, when it kept happening I was going absolutely nuts!!

Last edited by MYFLTRX; 11-04-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:33 PM
MYFLTRX
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stree Glide shuts off while accelerating-photo446.jpg
This plug

Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd remove the connector behind air cleaner assembly on throttle body and clean with contack cleaner & then reinstall with dialectric grease.

There is a tech bulletin out on the HD's for fretting / wear from vibration & corrosion too that is addressed be replacing the worn pins with if i am not mistaken gold plated pins which are supposed to be more durable.

Gold is a soft metal so how much more durable gold plated pins will be under the same vibration & heat cond i am not confident will be that much better when the same type original connector design is used that allows the connector to move ever so slightly when locked into the throttle body and that movement is what causes the pins to wear.

I 1st had this issue with my 09 96" when it had approx 13k miles and i cleaned the connector and used dialetric grease when i reinstalled it.

Had the issue again approx 4k miles later which is when the hd dealer could actually find the problem at the connector when doing diagnostic check which was covered under the ESP .

Scott

Old 11-05-2015, 03:22 AM
jim518
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be the TBW connecter in the handle bars, if your still chasing problem.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:40 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

That connector is the one they're doing the service bulletin on today, so I guess we'll see what they find.

As far as the tbw wiring, I'm contemplating changing bars this winter, so that'll all be apart anyway eventually. I'll check that all over then.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:44 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Shop just called, they did the pin replacement. Then on the test ride, it shut down during heavy acceleration like it was doing for me. They're replacing the induction module(?). I assume that's the electronic module on the throttle body that my tuner told me he's found moisture in before that's marked "warranty void if cover remover?" Didn't have much time to talk to the lady about it, I was at work. Just told them to keep it until it's fixed. Hopefully that's it!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

The induction Module is the throttle body. Air cleaner on one end cyl. heads on the other.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Throttle Control Actuator (TCA)

Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Yeah, I know where the throttle body is and what it does lol. Just wasn't sure if "induction module" was moco talk for the entire TB or just the electrical guts of it. I'd still like to know why last time this happened, I had a crank position sensor code come up, but not this time.

Quick Reply: Stree Glide shuts off while accelerating