Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**PART 1**A Day at the Corbin factory (Hollister, CA) Custom seat build pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default **PART 1**A Day at the Corbin factory (Hollister, CA) Custom seat build pictorial

This is part 1 of a 2 part posting - to many pictures for one post.... enjoy..

I got a new 2015 Ultra Limited and decided to get our 4th Corbin saddle. I am a short rider and got my first Harley back in 1996. At that time I ordered a ‘short’ Corbin saddle for our Fatboy. Sold that bike in 2000 and got a WG - Found out about Corbin’s ‘Ride in appointment’ This is where you make an appointment, arrive at 0800 and spend a day having a truly custom saddle made for YOU. This worked out great - sold that bike in 2004 and bought a new EG - another ‘Ride in appointment’ - kept that bike for 11 years and again, Loved our Corbin - Got our 15 in Aug of this year and we decided to ride the stock seat for a while - after a 600 mile trip - Wife ask “So, when do we make our appointment?”
Today we arrived at 0800 and left at 4PM - By this time we pretty much knew what we liked and did not like - Being that Harley had really changed the seat since 2004 - It took the wife and I a little longer to find that ‘perfect’ fit - Our seat builder was great at listening and putting his Talent to work and getting what the rider needs / wants
We spent the day getting on and off for ‘tweaking’ going for a test drive and more ‘tweaking’. At the end we left with a Truly Custom saddle made to fit US.

Note - EVERYONE at Corbin / Hollister, CA - was Great - and I mean everyone - Corbin encourages YOU to tour the Entire factory at your leisure and see how the seats are made - Everyone we came into contact with had the Best Customer service - allowed me to take as many pictures as I wanted.

A special treat for me - Mike Corbin is very Often there and walking around making sure all is going smoothly - we talked and I saw that he is making parts for the Polaris Slingshot AND Mike Corbin had his personal ZERO (Electric Motorcycle) there. I was intrigued with both and he graciously offered both to me for a test ride. The three wheeled Slingshot was a blast but that Zero was MORE than I ever expected - TORQUE out of this world and FAST - WOW --

Below is a Pictorial Day at Corbin and a readers Digest of how a Saddle is made.

This service does NOT add any extra cost to the price of the Saddle - same as if I just ordered it over the internet - You can order a great Saddle over the internet but to get this type of very specialize fitting - It has to be in person with a ‘Ride in appointment’

Thank you Corbin

First the Base of the saddle is made out of Fiberglass laid into the bottom of this mold

After the Fiberglass is laid - onto the line to get the 'Closed Cell padding" Which is poured in like you were going to make a 'Waffle"

After the seat Closed Cell padding is poured in - the shell is closed for it to "cook" and rise, after that it is opened and pulled out

Once it comes out of the 'Mold' it is passed on to two workers who get it ready by drilling needed holes for the rivets and rider back rest internals are installed and given a 'rough' shaping.

At about this point, it is ready for my installer/builder to get it and start our Custom

This is where the Magic starts and takes (for us) all day - If your by your self - much faster - For us - spending this much money for our saddle - we want it to be as close to perfect as we can get it - so we spend time, lol

Here our builder is installing our Tourpac back rest (built the same as the saddle) also the seat is installed for our first of MANY (how does that feel? take a little of here, there - add some here, there

Back to the bench for the 'tweaking'

OK, how does that feel? go for a test ride - come back - So, how did that feel?

Well - little more here, there - this goes on Until YOU and your rider say its ok - This can take most of the time.

OK, now lets add my back rest to the Mix and go for another ride - getting very close

Leave a comment - let me know what you think or if you have any questions

GO to Part 2 of Corbin factory build....
Click on the link below - it will take you to part 2
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...eat-build.html

HD Forums only allow 20 pictures per post....

Last edited by harley0711; 06-14-2017 at 11:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by harley0711:
Former USMC (02-13-2021), Snowfan (02-13-2021)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Excellent!!! As a Corbin owner, this is really cool. Thanks for posting this.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:06 PM
ange d mange
Cruiser
Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Great post! I had no idea the 'Ride in appointments' were actually a thing. Cool that you and your lady made the most out of it.
Extra thumbs up for the pictoral!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:17 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,669 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default Corbin Seat

Harley0711, Thanks for the post. Very informative. Best of luck with your new seat !

Old 11-06-2015, 05:38 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I am not a fan of corbin but that is personal preference. I do appreciate their customer service according to you as well as your detailed post. Happy and comfy is all that counts.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like I may want to take a trip to California lol

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

Uh oh, standing on a roller table to reach something up on a shelf?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Seems you had the same experience as the wife and i.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
Seems you had the same experience as the wife and i.
If your ever in the Turlock area - i will show you mine - if you sow me yours, lol

Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

It's great if you live close to the Corbin company in Cali - but here in Colorado we have a company "Bitichin Stichin" that we use to custom fit our seats - I bought a Mustang solo seat that was stripped down and used for my solo seat on my 15' SGS - same type of experience where you go in, they made some modifications, you try them out, they make more until you're happy, then cover it....having a custom seat regardless on who makes it is well worth the money - glad you like yours

Quick Reply: **PART 1**A Day at the Corbin factory (Hollister, CA) Custom seat build pictorial