Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Tension on the Hayden M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Hayden and spring pressure =

Baker Attitude Adjuster =

Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

My question is why doesn't Hayden respond to any of these posts anymore? It appears to be a good product for the most part (I'm running one with single spring) but seems no one from Hayden gets on here anymore and either directs an answer to an issue, or an improvement of the design.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
My question is why doesn't Hayden respond to any of these posts anymore? It appears to be a good product for the most part (I'm running one with single spring) but seems no one from Hayden gets on here anymore and either directs an answer to an issue, or an improvement of the design.
Because for every 1 complaint on here there are probably hundreds and hundreds of units out there working just fine, like mine.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Because for every 1 complaint on here there are probably hundreds and hundreds of units out there working just fine, like mine.

Or it could be they have no interest in explaining how their unit tore up hundreds of dollars of parts. I called these people with my concerns about how tight the primary chain was after the Hayden install. They said no worries it will wear in. They probably meant wear out. I'm glad yours works for you but trust me there are more than a few with major damage from this POS Hayden part.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Or it could be they have no interest in explaining how their unit tore up hundreds of dollars of parts. I called these people with my concerns about how tight the primary chain was after the Hayden install. They said no worries it will wear in. They probably meant wear out. I'm glad yours works for you but trust me there are more than a few with major damage from this POS Hayden part.
You are right, been there done that. I know they have caller ID when I first had problems with it being to tight they would talk with me. I was very nice to them every time. I put pics on here showing how bad my shoe looked, from then on after about 10 times in a row I got no answer by phone. I did e'mail to and nothing, just like they disappeared. Do a Search on my Thread you will see how bad it was. They do work okay on 08 and older.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just finished the inner primary repair job on my 2008 Street Glide. I believe the damage was caused by the HD OEM primary chain tensioner. So here is what I believe happened. When the OEM tensioner extended to the full up position at about 20,449 miles, the primary chain became so tight it started pulling on the input shaft which comes out of the clutch hub. Because there was no relief in the tension of the chain, this caused the splines on the clutch hub to break, which caused the inner bearing race to wear. As a result, the fly wheel on the clutch assembly started tearing into the inner primary housing luckily not to the point of any damage.

So, I had to replace the clutch hub and inner primary race as well as the inner primary housing bearing. While I was there, I replaced the shifter shaft seal for peace of mind.

I did a lot of research on the Hayden M6 BT07 Primary Chain Tensioner an decided to give it a try since I now knew the HD tensioner caused all the damage, what did I have to lose. After reviewing the YouTube videos on the Hayden tensioner, I was convinced this was a better product because I could actually see the tensioner expanding and retracting, something the HD tensioner does not do. Once it's up, it stays up until you go in and reset it. But if your going to do that, what's the point. You might well buy a new one.

As for the whining sound, I heard a little something different but nothing as annoying as described by some of the Hayden haters.

What I did notice, was a smoother feel when engaging the transmission into first gear. No more clunk!!! I also noticed smoother down shifting. All in all a huge difference. I am totally sold on this product and will be recommending it to all my friends. I am convinced the HD tensioner will eventually lead to a more costly headache if not replaced. Luckily for me, I caught it before it had a chance to damage the transmission, which as you know is a costly repair.

As usual, this is my opinion only. I will be checking the Hayden every other service or 10,000 miles. I'm even thinking about buying a primary cover with the inspection plate to save on the cost of buying a new primary cover gasket every 10,000 miles, and if I can't find one, I'll just add that to the price of my service.

Does anyone out there know if I can even use a primary cover from a later model twin cam on a 2008 SG?

Last edited by OPDSam30; 11-29-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 AM
propflux01
Road Master

The HD tensioner does have a spring tension on it as well. It allows about 1/2 travel of the chain before it ratchets up.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Prop,

Thanks for your response. Yes, but once it starts ratcheting up, it won't come down. I was ok up until it started ratcheting up. This is my understanding of how the OEM HD tensioner works. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate any education in this area. Check this out on my blog page article @ http://hdhogandblog.com/?p=357. This was caused by the HD OEM tensioner. Nothing else could have caused it IMO..

Old 11-30-2015, 02:19 PM
propflux01
Road Master

My work computer blocks the blog, but I will look at it when I get home. From what I have seen so far, it seems some ratchet up too quick while others do not. When I replaced mine with a Hayden, it had about 3/4 of slack in it. the Hayden was tighter, and provided a nice crisp first gear shift, but always whined. About 1000 miles into it, I removed the cover and removed the inner spring. 200 miles after that it still whined and made strange noises. I thought the spring had broken or something so off came the cover, and I reinstalled my stock tensioner. The whine is gone. I ratcheted it up by hand (read: screwdriver), to 1/2 inch of freeplay. this is when I noticed how the stock spring allowed the extra movement. So far I have had no issues. I will check it again at next primary fluid change. I am one of those guys that are kinda **** about things, as I have always been paranoid about breakdowns, and too poor to pay the stealer prices if I did break down.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by OPDSam30

Does anyone out there know if I can even use a primary cover from a later model twin cam on a 2008 SG?
Yes..

Quick Reply: Spring Tension on the Hayden M6