Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another failed battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:00 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the previous posters that advised to check your polarity on the cable. I have four Deltran Battery Tenders on bikes right now with two of them being Juniors. They take a beating getting kicked around the garage floor and work fine.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

I have two, one is about a year old, the other is 12, and survived a tornado, and is beat up pretty bad but still works great. Have you checked the voltage in your house for spikes?

Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i have six battery tender jrs. brought at the same time, all are under four years old. two have went bad in the last two weeks. one on my suburban in my garage and one on my sons new camaro parked in the garage next door has went bad. both are doing the same thing, blinking very fast green. one of them has been moved around quite a bit. the one on my bike is still good. all others seem to be fine for now. most are plugged in whenever the batteries are not being used. never been wet or even in a humid place or dropped. maybe these new ones are not as good as the older ones. if i have to buy new ones i'm going with something better. suggestions ? house wiring is fine along with garage wiring and outlets are wired correctly.

Last edited by hardheaded; 11-29-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

FYI, I use a total of 9 tenders on my jeeps, ATVs, RZRs, and motorcycles, The tenders are between 5-10 years old and I have never had one fail. Never! Ron

Old 11-29-2015, 09:29 AM
02Flstfi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the Battery Tender Jr troubleshooting guide at this location?

http://motorcycle-gadgets.com/files/...erJrManual.pdf

Page 10

Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 2 battery tenders and no issues, 1 is a junior I bought in 2006 & the other is a plus that I bought in 2011.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

yes i've seen that, i talked to deltran and they told me to plug them in and i told them they continue to flash green . they said they are bad. even put my multimeter on them. dead. eight bucks a tender to ship back to them which i will most likely do. still if i have to buy any new maintainers i don't know if i'll be going back to these.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:35 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

GREEN FLASHING - When the green light is flashing, and the red light is on, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Leave the battery on charge until the green light is solid whenever possible. Once the green light begins to flash, it will remain flashing until the battery charger output current drops below the optimum recharge threshold, or until the absorption timer expires.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I have heard good reports on the Optimate 3 so I pick one up when I found a need for another tender. Among it's recovery and maintenance features I like the idea that it automatically runs tests on a regular basis while maintaining. It is a little more expensive than a regular tender but I think it makes a good addition to the 2 tenders I have. I plan on rotating them between my car, truck and bike every few weeks to allow the Optimate to run through it's cycles.

I found my Honda branded Optimate 3 at the local Honda dealer, the Harley doesn't mind.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:01 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
GREEN FLASHING - When the green light is flashing, and the red light is on, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Leave the battery on charge until the green light is solid whenever possible. Once the green light begins to flash, it will remain flashing until the battery charger output current drops below the optimum recharge threshold, or until the absorption timer expires.
not your normal flashing green, this is a very rapid flashing green. that's what tipped me off something was wrong.

Quick Reply: another failed battery tender